Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Settle in fallout zone?  (Read 1948 times)

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Settle in fallout zone?
« on: September 11, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

A very interesting bug. I settled in a zone with 7 dwarves, 5 of them peasants, one professional carpenter and one mason (by skill level), with me I took 3 picks, 1 axe, some of each seed, 2 cats and 2 dogs. The fortress location was tundra, freezing, no trees, some bushes and nice calmness. For my surprise, all I had there as opponents were dwarves. No trade with them. No goblins, no elves, no humans. That suits me fine. I don't like them anyhow..

Now, the interesting thing comes now... I told 3 dwarves to take picks and start mining through the mountain (3 wide corridor till water). Couple of seconds later every cat and dog I had dropped dead. Few seconds later, mules, carpenter, mason and one peasant drops dead. I've got a save just before the mules and dwarves die, along with the world save of course. FILE HERE

I don't know if its the freezing that does it, but I find it odd (buggily odd) you start the game and everyone dies within the first few seconds of gameplay...  :) It is as if someone just drunk and ate some radioactive foods, I mean, they had serious internal damages there  ;)

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
Re: Settle in fallout zone?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

Freezing is a little wonky (since temperature is so new), and it sounds like your dwarves froze to death. I think turning temperature off in the init would help, next time you start a fort in a freezing (or scorching for that matter) location. Don't let your dwarves outside to break up the wagon, they might not survive, unless your turn temp off. Good luck with your near-hermit challenge game!  :)
"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »

Thank you  :) Yeah I was wondering something funny was about the weather  :)

One miner fell asleep outside and died, so its now just one peasant and one miner game  :D

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 03:00:00 pm »

What's odd is, I had a glacial fortress with temperature on. Nobody died, or even remotely got any damage at all, no matter how much time they spent outside.

Deto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 05:18:00 pm »

Now that you mention it.. Neither did I in my glacier one ...

Oh and my fortress is on second winter, and I haven't gotten any immigrants. And the river inside (not one outside) doesn't bear any fish. Didn't know tundra is fishless too  :)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2007, 09:04:00 pm »

Turn temperature off, break up the wagons and get everyone inside and set it to no dwarves allowed outside. build doors, then lock them - you won't ever need to go outside anyway with no trees or trade.

then save, and turn temperature back on. Or leave it off for FPS saving I guess.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 02:19:00 am »

I managed to kill a mason when I put his workshop outside on a glacier map, most annoying. But otherwise I've noticed the dwarves tend to move inside pretty sharpish as your tunnel grows, I assume some self preservation thing or just luck?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 10:57:00 am »

Just how you play your game; mine stay outdoors for a few seasons.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!