Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So. Tauntrum Spiral.  (Read 2058 times)

Trisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So. Tauntrum Spiral.
« on: September 01, 2010, 10:49:09 pm »

My first serious game of Dwarf Fort (Not counting the one I abandoned due to disliking nobility) had about 89 pop when a dragon showed up. Cue one squad death (4 causalities) before my second squad took it down. This didn't sit well with a carpenter so, well. In the end tauntrum spiral. How do I avoid said spiral? Disallow death period? It seems as soon as a tantrum occurred my soldiers cut them down.

KojaK

• Bay Watcher
  • KojaK cancels job: interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
    • View Profile
Re: So. Tauntrum Spiral.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 10:55:19 pm »

Legendary dining room, legendary =dragon meat roasts=, and masterwork beds.
Quote from: Airpi
A normal ballista does damage by piercing with overlarge arrows, a dwarven ballista does damage by crushing with entire trees.

They will run, naked, into the caverns and roll around in whatever nearby filth is available.  Watch for gory explosions.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:59:37 pm »

Did you have a jail?  Usually they'll try to imprison someone first.  If there's no jail or its full, they'll give them a (usually lethal) beating instead.

Zengrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 11:15:23 pm »

i had same problem once. i have made many fortresses but i've only once got serious and made  huge fortress of over 100 dwarfs. A dragon came and my military quickly dispatched the dragon however before doing so dragon lit some stuff on fire.. one thing lead to next, and next thing i know everyone tantrumed and killed each other and i abandon with only a few dwarfs left. Yea dragon didn't kill any of my dwarfs... a single fire killed my fortress and tantrum spirals.. :( this was before 2010 and haven't took time to play another serious game, i hope eventually things will be put into place to help better handle those types of situations before they get out of hand. at time there was no way to put out fires or stop tantrums once a few dwarfs died... Since i will never save scum or cheat i end up not wanting to play again for a while due to all that time lost, but i guess that's DF!

anotherthing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 12:24:41 am »

Did you have a jail?  Usually they'll try to imprison someone first.  If there's no jail or its full, they'll give them a (usually lethal) beating instead.

LEGENDARY JAIL! My prisons are generally nicer than my noble quarters. Masterwork chains surrounded by masterwork beds and a personal well made from masterwork parts. There's also a 1x1 square for booze storage and another for food. The nicer the jail, the happier they are when they're released which helps you out when it comes to spirals.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:42:22 am »

Alternatively, have no meeting halls at all. The less friends your dwarves have, the better.
This works wonderfully well in all of my fortresses. I never give my dwarves individual rooms, have no masterwork meals or legendary dining rooms, but they never tantrum, and if they do, it's just someone who lost their pet or something minor like that.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:46:24 am by kapusta »

Jayce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 02:27:50 am »

I lost 100 dwarfs to a tantrum spiral in my last fort,i believe this was due to not enough cells and a small guard force,i was wondering if forcing everyone to the burrow would allow my guards to focus and sort it out quickly.

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 03:36:40 am »

Alternatively, have no meeting halls at all. The less friends your dwarves have, the better.
This works wonderfully well in all of my fortresses. I never give my dwarves individual rooms, have no masterwork meals or legendary dining rooms, but they never tantrum, and if they do, it's just someone who lost their pet or something minor like that.

This. My current fort is devoid of a meeting zone, so idle dwarves just stand about, looking at the sky, or a nearby wall.

A lack of emotional connection makes sure everyone just don't care.

Derekristow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 04:11:41 am »

Lessons from Dwarf Fortress:  Remain alone your whole life so you will still be happy if everyone dies in a dragon attack.
So my crundles are staying intact unless they're newly spawned... until they are exposed to anything that isn't at room temperature.  This mostly seems to mean blood, specifically, their own.  Then they go poof very quickly.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 04:56:37 am »

I lost 100 dwarfs to a tantrum spiral in my last fort,i believe this was due to not enough cells and a small guard force,i was wondering if forcing everyone to the burrow would allow my guards to focus and sort it out quickly.

It might make things worse if you have people on the edge of becoming dangerously unhappy. Seeing someone mushed into paste or chopped up by soldiers might give them that final push. Repeat until you either have no one left, dangerously few left, or everyone is a hardened cynic who finds no pleasure in life anymore.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 07:15:51 am »

Some good quality gold, platinum, or etc. statues in an engraved dining room can do wonders.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?