Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots of Aquifers  (Read 780 times)

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
Lots of Aquifers
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »

Is it just me, or is there way more aquifers in the new version than there was in 40d? and is there any way of reducing the amounts of aquifers?(without editing the raws to just not let any rocks hold one)
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Lots of Aquifers
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:14:15 pm »

It's not just you. Do custom world generation and use regions instead of islands.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 01:46:35 pm »

From what I've seen, aquifers tend to form pretty much anywhere where there aren't mountains nearby with some exceptions.  Near water it's almost guaranteed to have an aquifer.  It would really help if we had some kind of aquifer view for the embark map.  Searching tile by tile is really a pain.

One strategy I've learned is that if you come across an aquifer in an area that has the types of stuff you're looking for, you can check bordering biomes to see if they have an aquifer.  If they don't you can embark near a border and you'll be able to dig down into the area without an aquifer to get under the area with an aquifer.  I'm doing that with my current map.  Aquifers can be quite useful if you can get past them.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 01:51:17 pm »

I haven't tried it, but AFAICT Aquifers tend to be attendant on lower elevations & proximity to map visible water sources.

So when genning your next world, I suggest: No Oceans, Higher Minimum Elevations, nullifying the Required Low Elevation Subregions setting, & possibly lowering Maximum Rainfall.

& Don't embark on Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, or Streams (Brooks seem to be ok).

Note: Sand or Sandy soil layers seem to be especially prone to Aquifers, IMAO.

Gutanoth

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ILLUSIONS OF GRANDEUR]
    • View Profile
    • Umomushil - the fortress of dark Ice, an overlord list compliant fort
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 01:52:59 pm »

alright, thanks people. I'll try the region thing. If you make a region instead of an island does it prevent any of the lakes being saltwater?
Look at what a totally original signature this is.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 02:33:06 pm »

alright, thanks people. I'll try the region thing. If you make a region instead of an island does it prevent any of the lakes being saltwater?

I have...  actually never made an island map.  o_0  As far as I've seen, whether your lakes are freshwater or saltwater seems to depend on the world seed.  Regions get oceans and saltwater lakes, too.

I haven't tried it, but AFAICT Aquifers tend to be attendant on lower elevations & proximity to map visible water sources.

So when genning your next world, I suggest: No Oceans, Higher Minimum Elevations, nullifying the Required Low Elevation Subregions setting, & possibly lowering Maximum Rainfall.

& Don't embark on Oceans, Lakes, Rivers, or Streams (Brooks seem to be ok).

Note: Sand or Sandy soil layers seem to be especially prone to Aquifers, IMAO.

You're definitely right about some soil types being prone to aquiferliciousness (conglomerate, I don't think it even exists without aquifers, but sand, peat, and sandstone are bad, too).

Lakes can be hit or miss--sometimes you'll get a perfectly dry and cromulent sedimentary layer on the shore.

Depending on what kind of embark the OP is looking for, I've had better results setting meshes to 2x2 and weighting things towards the medium range (40-60), maxing out the number of subregions, and taking out ocean/desert/etc. minimums altogether.  No edge oceans.

Screwing around with height and drainage gave me big problems with human/elf/kobold survival in 40d, though it doesn't seem to be as bad in 2010.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 03:05:21 pm »

You could always remove the Aquifer tags in the raws.  I would assume that would keep them from forming.