Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: more efficient metal generator? (adamantite?)  (Read 1789 times)

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
more efficient metal generator? (adamantite?)
« on: August 17, 2010, 08:45:14 pm »

So I was watching my armorsmith slowly melt the 1000s of copper, iron, bronze, and occasionally steel armor that had accumulated in my fortress during the seven years of ambushes and sieges before I actually built a pump stack for magma, and then I remembered the adamantite generator thread. I havent been able to find it on the forums, but it was based on a simple bug: one bar of adamantite made 25 bolts, and each individual melted bolt provided .1 bars.

This gives you a 2.5:1 ratio in the creation of adamantite bars, and required some serious manipulation to split the bolt stacks consistently.

At this point, my armorsmith ran to the forge with a stack of bronze coins that I had minted for lore reasons (they were in a lever-locked vault) and was now replacing with copper. And then it hit me. What if you were to mint adamantite coins and leave them unvaulted, with the sole purpose of having the economy split the stack into 500 individual coins. Then, if you were to melt them all, would they still produce .1 bar each?

This means a 50(!):1 ratio, and no manipulation required once the economy starts up!

As I ahve never gotten the economy in the new version, would someone who has either (a) test it, or (b) if you dont want your fort to die an economy and coin related death, help me test it?

kenken244

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: more efficient metal generator? (adamantite?)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 08:55:48 pm »

I don't believe this will work in vanilla, as only copper, gold, and silver coins are used in the economy. However I believe that somewhere in the entity files you can change the materials and values of the coins, which could make this work. Another thing to consider is that once a dwarf claims a coin, I don't believe you will be able to melt it until it is reclaimed by the fortress.

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:15 pm »

ah. I think vanilla is broken right now, as I'm playing vanilla 31.12 and can make coins out of everything.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:51:46 pm »

First off, it is adamantine, not tite.
Next, any kind of metal can be minted, but any non electrum, copper, gold, or silver coins aren't used as exchange. Think (I'm using an American example here) gold dollar. You wouldn't want to spend it because it is so cool. Of course, the example I gave *could* be used, but who would?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 07:01:59 am »

Electrum? And yes, any metal coin can be made. I'm gearing up an adventurer by minting tens of thousands of lead coins for throwing. It's really all they're good for.

The real issue is that the economy seems to never kick in.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

goge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:57:03 am »

How does the fortress reclaim the coins? Richest men meet unfortunate accidents?  Is there no other way to split stacks?  Is this because the way the are kept track of in memory?