Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stay near station does not work vs goblins  (Read 1414 times)

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Stay near station does not work vs goblins
« on: September 08, 2007, 01:33:00 am »

I get sieged by goblins. I locked the doors, set my squads to on duty and stay near station, then position them way at the back of my fortress, past the chasm. The instant I unlock the door they charge them, ignoring the stay near station (and even the all dwarves stay inside) order. Nothing I can do will stop them from charging the goblins except locking the doors between them and the goblins at which point they go back to the station and wait.

Stay near station does seem to work fine vs river/chasm/lava creatures though, I've had squads standing very close (4 squares away maybe?) to ratmen and not attacking because they were set to stay at station.

I've not managed to test it vs human sieges, or elf or kobold attacks so I don't know if it works for them or not.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: Stay near station does not work vs goblins
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2007, 01:05:00 pm »

I think right now that flag tells them not to target opponents that are far away from their station, but once they've been engaged with such an opponent, they'll chase it (and probably keep chasing it if it is adjacent during their next target check since they feel threatened).  How far was the nearest goblin from the dwarves after the door was unlocked?  Not saying this is ideal behavior of course.  The military controls are due for an overhaul, which will be part of the army update after this next release.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »

the goblins were outside the fortress, pretty much at the cliff face. my dwarves were stationed just past the chasm. I stationed them so far back because I'd had trouble before with them charging out into the field to get slaughtered and I wanted to make sure I had time to lock doors to stop them.

They had no problems going from smoking outside all the way back to the waypoint when I first ordered them to, so I don't think they were targeting them to start out with.

The captain of the guard had decided to mill around the entrance and got killed, maybe the leader of the squad was trying to get his pants or something? I'm fairly sure they had full armor, but I did not think to check for the picking up equipment task. It worked fine in a recent siege so this is the only thing I can think of.

I'll post more if I can narrow it down any more, otherwise if it was just them trying to loot the captain sorry for the false alarm.

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 05:46:00 pm »

I was just reading this (trolling the forums  :p) and I think I have an idea as to what may have been the issue... You say the commander got slaughtered back at the entrance? So a new commander would have been auto-assigned. I think new commanders use the default squad rules, so they might have not been set to stay at their anymore.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

no I mean the captain of the guard noble, he does not run from enemies and you can't control him so he just hangs out near the entrance and dies when the goblins come. I think my troops wanted his armor (I don't remember for sure if they had a full set or not).

Bryan Baywood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 07:39:00 pm »

Oohhhhh! Captain of the Guard... Sorry about that.  :p
And I sooooo thought I had it.

Reminds me of one of my latest games... Had all my guards set to wrestling. And one by one they ran out into the goblin seige to get slaughtered.