Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Planted crops "disappear" with season change: bug?  (Read 1389 times)

rmunn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Planted crops "disappear" with season change: bug?
« on: August 16, 2010, 02:54:02 pm »

Two or three times now, with a brand-new fort, I've noticed some odd behavior with my farms. I don't know if this is a bug that I should report on the DF bug tracker, or if it's just my lack of experience leading me to expect the wrong thing. Comments from more experienced players would be welcome.

I usually start out my forts with 6 of each type of underground seed. One of my first priorities is muddying some rock and starting a farm. I build six 2x3 plots, one designated for each type of seed. I usually have this up and running by mid-summer, so I have cave wheat, sweet pods, pig tails and quarry bushes merrily growing alongside my year-round crops, dimple cups and plump helmets.

Then autumn rolls around, and my DF game pauses while it does the seasonal autosave. When I unpause... my fields are empty. Where there had been six full "planted crop" symbols, the fields now show nothing but "empty farm plot" symbols. And as I had just planted all my seeds but hadn't yet harvested anything but plump helmets (which are nice and speedy growing), suddenly I have nothing but plump helmets to get me through the winter.

Is this a bug? Or am I just not understanding how farms in DF work?

I don't yet have a save that can confirm this with 100% accuracy. I'll turn seasonal saves on and see if I can catch a save just before season change, so I have two saves with only a few days between them. But I'd be interested to know if anyone else is seeing this behavior.
Meet the seven year-old girl Lokum Ishemavuz. Her hobbies include taking care of her pet vulture, playing in graveyards, and killing people before they have a chance to scream.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Planted crops "disappear" with season change: bug?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 03:08:31 pm »

when plants are not set to grow in that season, they disappear from the farm. Luckily all plants have two seasons of growth, so if make sure to only plant in the first one, this bug will never strike you. Although you may want to double your farm size in order to compensate.

Robert

• Bay Watcher
  • The Librarian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 03:10:06 pm »

I personally have not experienced this bug. As such I have no suggestion on how to help. On my save, I just set up all the farms to grow year round, and they automatically transition. Best of luck that you can solve it.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 03:18:24 pm »

did the plump helmets (the ones planted) vanish too?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 03:20:15 pm »

It's not really a "bug" it's simply that the game notices that you no longer "want" the plants to grow there and thus removes the seeds. If you want toady to chance this join the tempreture topic.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 07:07:34 pm »

I've noticed this disappearing crop thing as well. I plant all four seasons, so it's not because the plot is supposed to be fallow. It seems to be that if the crop doesn't mature before the season is over, it just gets cancelled out.

So it might be informative to find out exactly how many days each crop takes to mature. The Wiki for crops doesn't list days until harvest, but I'm betting there's a minimum number of days necessary, or all the crop goes to waste.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 07:12:40 pm »

I'm betting there's a minimum number of days necessary, or all the crop goes to waste.
Each plant has it's own [GROW_DUR:300] (or something like that) telling it how long it takes to mature, in plant_standard.txt
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 07:37:22 pm »

Innerestin' -- the only plants listed as having a GROW_DUR tag (in v0.31.12) are all five of the "wet cavern" biome plants. Plump Helmets and Pig Tails are 300, and the other three are 500, whatever that stands for. It's certainly not days.

At the very minimum, at least 500 of these 'ticks' have to go by in a single season. Maybe there are 1000 ticks / season, and the quick ones mature in a month, while the longer ones mature in a month and a half. Just guessing there though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:49:37 pm by AngleWyrm »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 07:50:40 pm »

have a try at the "Time" article in the wiki. it has something in it about  the units in growdur is a hundred times bigger than the units in syndrome or something...
100 syndrome=1 growdur

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 08:00:15 pm »

Thanks that helped: In fortress mode there are 1200 time units/day, and each growdur is 100 time units...heheh starting to look like math class...

25 days for the quick crops and
41 2/3 days for the slow crops

So that might be the minimum necessary time left in the season to plant, or else the seeds won't mature before the next season's crop cycle begins. It also means that the quick crops can grow three times in a season and the slow crops can only grow twice in a season.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 08:04:28 pm by AngleWyrm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 10:21:28 pm »

Innerestin' -- the only plants listed as having a GROW_DUR tag (in v0.31.12) are all five of the "wet cavern" biome plants. Plump Helmets and Pig Tails are 300, and the other three are 500, whatever that stands for. It's certainly not days.

At the very minimum, at least 500 of these 'ticks' have to go by in a single season. Maybe there are 1000 ticks / season, and the quick ones mature in a month, while the longer ones mature in a month and a half. Just guessing there though.

Iceball3 is right: Growdur represents the turns that plants take - 100 normal frames (as compared to most creature tokens using a 10 normal frame average), and there are 1200 frames per game day.  12 Growdur equates to 1 gameday.  (Covered fairly extensively in the Improved Farming thread, by the way.)

Plump Helmets and Pig Tails grow in 25 game days, all others default to 500 Growdur, or 412/3 days.  (And all game months are 28 days long, so all seasons are 84 days long, which roughly equates to 1008 Growdur.

Anyway, in 40d, even if a crop is growing, and a season where it shouldn't be able to grow comes around, it should instead create a "⌐" symbol for a dead crop, not simply an empty field. 

If crops, especially crops like Plump Helmets or aboveground crops, which should grow year-round, dissapear, then we're talking serious bug.  (Note that, while it's not exactly a feature, there has been a long-standing problem with ALL crops dying at the start of a new year/change to Spring, even if they are year-round crops.  Hopefully, this will eventually be fixed with the Improved Farming changes.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 10:45:46 pm »

Linky on this Improved Farming thread please?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 10:58:45 pm »

Linky on this Improved Farming thread please?

I thought I'd seen you active on the Suggestions forum... considering how many arguments had been around that one, I'd think more people would have seen it...

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22015.570

(Keep in mind that only the last 9 pages are "current" if you want to get involved)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 01:15:46 am »

Yes I post there sometimes. Thanks for the link, added a post.

Also, you got my vote :D
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 01:50:04 am by AngleWyrm »