Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unused skill  (Read 782 times)

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unused skill
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:42:48 am »

Before rusty-system was implemented, skill that wasn't used by dwarf for a long time was decreasing slowly thus making dwarf loosing xp. Now we have rustiness. If skill is rusty it will take time for dwarf to replenish his skills (until then he makes items like dabbling user).
So i have a question - do dwarves loose their skill (exp) anymore or they only get rustiness? Or both?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Unused skill
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:44:12 am »

Wait, they used to lose skill?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Aravin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 11:49:13 am »

Ye) I had a legendary+5 woodcrafter stop making wood crafts for 10+ years and now he is at master level.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 12:04:50 pm »

I have never seen a dwarf in 40d lose ranks in a skill, even if they went decades without using that skill.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 12:10:40 pm »

Ye) I had a legendary+5 woodcrafter stop making wood crafts for 10+ years and now he is at master level.

Sure it was the same dwarf? Pretty sure rustiness and whatnot wasn't implemented until 31.01.

Anyway, I THINK this is how it works. I haven't played a whole lot of fortress mode, but this is my understanding of it according to some of Toady's comments.

In the current version, rustiness is a two-stage process. If you don't use a skill for a little while, the skill becomes "rusty," which gives a penalty to the skill but is removed after using the skill a few times. If the rusty skill continues to be unused for an extended period of time, it will start to permanently lose experience; even when you start losing the skill again and remove the skill-loss effect, that experience remains lost.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.