Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about rotting.  (Read 556 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Question about rotting.
« on: August 16, 2010, 12:36:12 am »

If I keep a refuse stockpile inside for butchers and the like, and something starts rotting, will it automatically be taken outside? Or will it be put into the indoors refuse stockpile?

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Question about rotting.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 12:40:18 am »

if you have a refuse pile, indoors or outdoors, dwarves will take stuff to it.  They will usually take the stuff to the nearest one.  Dwarves will never take rotting stuff outside, or anywhere else for that matter (barring any insanity or wonky combat related incidents), without a reason.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:47:23 am »

Alright, thanks again.

BaronBalloon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 02:00:52 am »

if you are worried about miasma, something i found useful : a tile exposed to the surface counts as above ground permanently - even if you build a roof over it, a refuse pile there should not generate miasma. so just dig a channel down from the surface to cover the area you want the refuse pile in, then floor it back over. incineration is another option, but only if you have magma, and if you're careful how you do it.
Are the fortresses there for psychological reasons?  Are they trying to hold back entropy itself, rather than the goblin hordes?

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 02:17:20 am »

Hmm...

How much of an issue is miasma?

I realize it causes unhappy thoughts but does it put a huge drain on happiness or does it balence out?

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:02:41 am »

For me, miasma is just plain annoying.  I can't see through all that purple!  The good news is that you can still use loo(k) and each individual tile underneath the purple to know what's under there.

The negative thought is just secondary to me.  And I don't know just how negative it is.  Happiness is based on a number of things and as long as there is more positive stuff than negative stuff, your dwarves should be sufficiently happy.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:56:05 am »

If you want an underground refuse pile and don't want to bother with channeling to the surface, or channeling is impractical, you can seal off the room with the refuse pile in it with diagonals and the miasma cannot escape into the rest of your fort.  This isolates any miasma related bad thoughts to dwarves who happen to be putting something in the refuse pile while something is putting out miasma.

Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:18:53 pm »

If you want an underground refuse pile and don't want to bother with channeling to the surface, or channeling is impractical, you can seal off the room with the refuse pile in it with diagonals and the miasma cannot escape into the rest of your fort.  This isolates any miasma related bad thoughts to dwarves who happen to be putting something in the refuse pile while something is putting out miasma.

Wouldnt a door work just aswell?
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 01:21:26 pm »

A door will work, but it'll allow miasma to escape anytime someone opens it.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.