Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Two questions on elves and lumber limits  (Read 3720 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Two questions on elves and lumber limits
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 01:05:44 am »

Elves have a low patience stat.

As for your challenge, the elves from Lord of the Rings were pretty awesome [shameless self plug] maybe you should check out my mod? [/shameless self plug]
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 05:38:13 am »

The pen-and-paper RPG "The Burning Wheel" makes elves 11 different kinds of totally awesome.

Meanwhile, in DF: to make elves likable, make their caravans larger, or add a trade liaison. If I could request wood and pets and booze I'd like them more.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 06:20:07 am »

Somewhat on topic does anybody know how I can check how far I'm on the tree limit?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 07:49:26 am »

If you have a broken then (c), select the elven siv and then tab (I think) until you get to the agreements screen.

Corambis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 02:05:30 pm »

I haven't run afoul of the elves in the current version of DF, but in the previous version I discovered it was far more fun and profitable to piss off the elves until they went to war with me.  To begin with, I was having a devil of a time finding any coal or lignite, so trees were my only fuel for my forges.  The 100 tree limit was a major pain.  I went over it accidentally a few times too many, and they started sending ambushes.  As mentioned earlier, they are generally pushovers, and I ended up with a lot of crappy wood armor and weapons, which I then traded to the humans and the other dwarves for *real* items.  So I stopped worrying about the tree limits, wiped out the elves every time they came, and started amassing piles of elf skulls and bones, as well as building a thriving unicorn meat and leather industry.  The training was also good for my military.  The only problem was that despite my turning down all of their attempts to make peace, they finally just stopped attacking after a while.  I'm not sure if they ran out of elves, or what.

I have yet to go to war with the elves in the newest version of DF, although I plan to.  For one, I just hate them elves.  All pointy-eared, condescending, and ridiculously tall.  Secondly, they bring little of value, other than pets and some other miscellaneous junk.  At least in the old game, it was much more profitable to kill and loot them.
Pages: 1 [2]