Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Improved job and status screen etc.  (Read 532 times)

Luewen82

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Improved job and status screen etc.
« on: August 17, 2010, 11:14:58 am »

Hey. Long time forum lurker and first time poster here. :P

After playing a while i noticed that few interface improvisations would benefit the game a lot.

First for the status screen:

-Would be nice to be able to search items in stocks screen etc by keyword or something like that.
-Also status screen should have tab that lists all your dorfs in a list without the jobs cluttering it like in the job screen.
*You should be able to sort the list by job and what they are doing atm.
*Also list should show you invidual skills of dorfs without you to need to check everyone invidually in game screen or use job screen to select dorf and zoom to creature and the check them.

Job screen:

-Same as status screen about sorting or searching by name.
-Job manager screen should only list jobs you have materials atm when making new order. Similar how workshops show only items you have materials to make.

Workshop screens.
-Noticed that some workshops list all items you can make and some list only what materials you have. Is it possible to make rest of the workshops only show list of jobs to make that you have materials for.
-In some workshops add job menu you can move with arrow keys to select and some only accept letters. Is there reason for this difference?

Other than that game has been awesome so far. Keep up the good work. :D

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: Improved job and status screen etc.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 11:21:58 am »

Workshop screens.
-Noticed that some workshops list all items you can make and some list only what materials you have. Is it possible to make rest of the workshops only show list of jobs to make that you have materials for.
This would mean that in chain production you have to produce the first object before you can order the producion of the second third ext.
An example is the production of steel. We start with a lot of Bituminous coal a magma smelter and iron ore. We first have to order the production of the coal and smelting of the iron. Then we combine the 2 into pig iron, after which we smelt more iron and make more coal that can be made into steel. If the jobs are not visible then we have to wait till everything is done before we can order it.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Improved job and status screen etc.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 01:56:18 pm »

While I agree fully with the idea to be able to search things, especially in the stocks screen, keep in mind that these sorts of things are often suggested, and it's encouraged that you search for existing threads that you can add onto, rather than simply restarting the whole conversation over again from the beginning.  (It helps to keep the forum from exploding into a giant mass of redundant threads all clamoring for the same things... as if that can be stopped anymore.)

As for the Jobs Screen, you might want to check the Eternal Suggestion Voting, and especially the Job Priorities thread.  This is where the next big update along that front will be coming, and if you want to put in ideas for how this will be handled, that's where to do it.

For practical searching based upon jobs, you should look up the utility Dwarf Therapist.  That is a life-saver in terms of searching your dwarves.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare