Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: best tileset?  (Read 12884 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: best tileset?
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2010, 09:55:16 am »

It's changing really fast too, so if you keep up with me, you can download a patch every couple weeks or so!

We're just getting better and better! = P
I use, and love, Phoebus', but as I was leafing through the thread for blueeyed, I saw that it was a lot different than it was last time I saw it, and I was like, "I... might have to start using this." Is there a version that doesn't use those swirly things for water? I love your dwarves, and while the ground/walls look a little grunge-y at times, my biggest problem is with the water.

There are a few different options in the folder, with different types of symbols etc, perhaps Phoebus should release an option of having no symbols in the walls. They're one of the things I like most, saves a lot of time in the look menu ;)
I think Phoebus is working on exactly this.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2010, 10:37:33 am »

Something else to consider, that I have recently learned, is what size tile your computer can and cannot handle. For the prettier looking tilesets such as Ironhand's the tiles are much larger than the grittier/authentic looking tilesets. Since Dwarf Fortress requires a minimum number of tiles (to my understanding) this means that the game might play at a resolution that your desktop does not use/handle. Of course I'm using a 5-7 year old laptop so it's most likely not an issue for most people. Still something to be aware of.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2010, 04:38:18 pm »

I use, and love, Phoebus', but as I was leafing through the thread for blueeyed, I saw that it was a lot different than it was last time I saw it, and I was like, "I... might have to start using this." Is there a version that doesn't use those swirly things for water?

Swirly things as opposed to what? If you're thinking of numbers showing depth-level, that's controlled by the d_init.txt file, not by a tile-set.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2010, 05:26:22 pm »

My set can run in any resolution. But for the best look, you probably want 1440 pixels horizontally.

And yeah, I'm not quite happy with the water yet either, but we have some grand plans for it in the future.
Pages: 1 [2]