Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you build your fortress?  (Read 2036 times)

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you build your fortress?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 12:06:35 pm »

Dig hallways ending with downward ramps until I hit the first stone layer, then set up a farmng area in the first underground level by tapping a pond. Then I carve out a dining room, a workshop area, a space for a trade depot (the trade room is 7x7 and stockpiles for goods go in a C-shaped room around it,) and a dormitory because dwarves still won't use thier own rooms yet. Once I've got some quarry bushes bagged, or some meat, fish, and cheese from trading, I dig out a room for a kitchen where I store the perishable items until they can be cooked (in case they rot before I can cook them, so miasma doesn't spread too much.) The living areas here are fairly compact and utilitarian aside from decorations for the dining room and the leaderr's office.

THEN I get to work digging out dedicated storage areas. Once all that's done, I dig down to the magma and start smelting ores and training my smiths, as well as start turning out metal barrels and bins. Once I have two hundred serrated metal (or glass) disks, I dig a 2 tile wide hallway into the caverns, fill the first twenty spaces (10x2) with traps, and stick some dogs on ropes behind them to lure in underground life. Once I have some decent equipment, in case something gets past the traps somehow, I set up a loom just behind the dogs and tell a weaver to get to work collecting webs.

Somewhere in there I dig out as much of the soil layers as I can so I can convert them into farms for natural underground plant life, so I can chop trees and gather underground plants without exposing my dwarves to the dangers of the caverns unneccesarily.

Once all THAT'S done, I get to work walling off the caverns.

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 12:14:07 pm »

Long 3-wide hallways, 2x3bedrooms, 4-5x5 rooms for nobles, 5x5 prisons, S5xS5 with pillars every S1 dining/meeting room, WS corridors, and a single soil layer dedicated to storage, 10x10 stockpiles, S3xS3 stone piles

Vicid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 02:28:02 pm »

I always try to find land with lots of obsidian.  Then I build compact housing into it (2x2, one of the tiles is taken up by a door.)

But stick a good bed, an obsidian chest and obsidian closet in there and the dwarves are happy.

I also have a grand dining room (easy enough) and then the rest is w/e

A lot of times I live under an aquifer just for easy access to water.  Defense is trap based with guard dogs.

I'm pretty lazy.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 02:53:36 pm »

I do fairly stanadard square/rectanglish areas going down, or into a cliff/mountainside and down.  On levels where I do exploratory mining, I draw pictures of things the dwarves like (horses, cats, plump helmets, battleaxes, once I did a wyvern. I dont have the skill to do flaming elves, though)
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 03:23:39 pm »

I tend to make pretty bedrooms looking like this.

and make the rest of my fort look roughly the same.
Diggy diggy hole.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 03:38:22 pm »

4x50 straight entrance tunnel with small open space at end with ballistae behind fortifications. 90 degree right angle into a 4x10 tunnel with another pit/fortification where my bow dwarves hang out. 90 degree right angle to 4 x 8 tunnel with depot and dogs chained to protect the main 2/2 up/down stairwell running as a spine, with all features on/around it as needs require. often secondary stairwellsare added to link related workshops. i have a hangover from the old days of not making any of my workshops more than 7 x 7, and rooms that are bigger than 7 x 7 get pillars...  floor 1 for farming using surface water. floor 2 for barracks with shortcut tunnels to points of interest. floor 3 for hospital and graveyard. floor 4 for staring crafts of carpentry, masonry, mechanic and crafting. floor 5 left as space for later metalworking and related industries. floor 6 for food processing related workshops. floor 7 for food storage and great hall. floor 8 for 4 dorms. floor 9 for 3 x 3 dorf rooms. floor 10 for noble rooms. the first cavern is normally nearby... of course, sometimes this goes upwards into a mountain and is flexible enough to jig around to account for lack of space, magma, ore veins and so on. i am very lazy so cant be arsed posting screenies - to be fair most of it other than the pretty elegant entrance hall (often featuring magma trap or flooding trap) is a bit overly functional.
This is a blank sig.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2010, 05:10:50 pm »

My forts tend to use a large(10x10x10) resevoir, which due to the contaminints in 2010, have been hooked up to a flooding mechanism, which can selectively flood areas of the fort to obliterate all dangerous contaminants. The fortress tends to be less fancy otherwise.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lolghurt

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:failures]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2010, 08:15:33 pm »

My previous fort decided that dwarf physics wasn't ridiculous enough and was thought to have been held up by a bridge. Once raised, the fort sat there.
Quote from: acetech09 date=1343968486
It's probably made from baby bone, with a handle of baby leather. Probably uses the leg bones wound together for the handle, the pelvis for the handle/pick joint, and the pick is the spine.

But that's all in theory, of course. Not like I've made a pick out of my own 5 month old baby before.

Brian the Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 05:39:08 pm »

So far I build my first floor in to the mountain and lay it out as a nice entrance hall with a stairway at the back. Sometimes I dig out burial chambers along the hallway for my Founding Seven and/or kick-ass dwarves so they can observe all who enter and bear witness to the dismemberment of invaders. Before the stairway I tunnel to either side and loop back around behind the stairwell to build my military barracks. Somewhere on this floor or immediately outside is my trade depot. But it's always isolated from the rest of the fort.

Below this are my workshops and initial store rooms. Farming is usually on this level. There's normally no rhyme or reason to the layout; I'm trying to get better at organizing this level.

The third level is reserved for additional store rooms and to provide a buffer between industry and the more contemporary floors below.

Fourth floor is also reserved for my hospital and recreational areas such as statue gardens, animal menageries, and also my kennels.

Fifth floor is for construction of quarters and the glorious dining hall. I usually build rooms for my initial eight dwarves (7 is uneven and messes with my sense of balance) as lavish accomodations, then build the dining hall and use it to separate their area from the subsequent rooms. Usually I build a large dormitory to accomodate roomless Dwarves.

I haven't gotten farther than this yet with any fort. Getting there :D Somewhere down in the deep will be my prison and goblin death camps.
Pages: 1 [2]