Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mark for death/attacking  (Read 800 times)

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
Mark for death/attacking
« on: June 13, 2008, 10:31:00 am »

There may already be a way, but I doubt it given the lengths people go to kill their own guys.

I feel like there should be a way to mark a given dwarf/human/elf/etc for attack by the military.  It seems goofy, but it's useful for preemptive taking out of dangerously depressed axelords, or for swiping stuff from the merchants.  This saves having to magically intimidate them with "Seize marked" even though you can't actually hurt them.

It would also be useful to be able to axe those stupid melancholic and stark raving mad humans, elves, and dwarves in the hidden fun stuff.

It would also be nice to be able to mark dwarves/whatever for imprisonment.  If nobles can do it, why can't I, the God-Emperor, do the same thing?

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mark for death/attacking
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

i like this idea, I would add to it the ability (maybe i too am missing something) to mark goblins and such as well.  I hate trying to herd my military to the AREA the evemy is in instead to the enemy itself.  Cancelling patrols and repeatedly using station drives me nutso.  why not just simply, "Hey, here are the bad guys, I even marked them for you brainless little idi--eeerrrr, i mean-- citizens of my fortress, now go forth and kill!"
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Hectorine

• Bay Watcher
  • Holy shit! Those are some ill-ass !!☼Kicks☼!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 06:27:00 pm »

Can't you imprison people already?

Actually, I was about to post the exact same thread...so many damn immigrants, and I just can't open my lava flood-gates fast enough.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 12:13:00 am »

I think this is a good idea, though perhaps to make it better other dwarves (maybe only if they see it) should get a sad thought along the lines of 'was disappointed by the misuse of dwarven justice' or somesuch if you kill or imprison a dwarf for no reason.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Omath Erius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 01:17:00 pm »

Would have to be a lot more complicated than just an "instant-kill anything" button.

Soldiers who enjoy slaughter would recieve a negative thought if they don't get much action for an extended time.

Soldiers who don't meet the above conditions would recieve a negative thought from having to execute someone who isn't a hostile.

In addition, soldiers should have a chance of flatly refusing to kill a target, because expecting an unhardened, unhappy dwarf to kill his wife and children is ridiculous.

Obviously, citizens or traders who learn they are about to be executed should make some attempt to save themselves: fleeing, hiding, fighting back, etc.

fhalkgsuehgvnl gherghlirhb

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2008, 02:46:13 pm »

I agree as long as building deathtraps doesn't lose it's shine.

(I've always wanted to raid human villages I settle in.)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 04:00:09 pm »

I think both methods have advantages and disadvantages.

Deathtraps:
Pros- Semi-automated, creative, quirky, quite hilarious
Cons- Can destroy equipment, complicated, unintended collateral damage

Martial Law:
Pros- Versatile, Easy to target, this is PERSONAL
Cons- Witnesses, Moral Scruples, Victim might retaliate
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.