Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Square tileset?  (Read 997 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Square tileset?
« on: August 14, 2010, 11:34:33 pm »

I have done a quick search, but it turned up nothing. What I'm looking for is a square tileset, I've heard that there is a curses font, within the game, that is square. If not, is there a tileset that is similar to curses, but square.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
Re: Square tileset?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 12:19:25 am »

In your art folder.

curses_square_16x16.bmp

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 09:32:36 am »

Most of the tiles I've seen that are intended to be somewhat graphical are square. It's strange that you had such difficulty finding any.

Have a look on the Wiki's Tileset Repository

If you want the simple curses look, what Patchouli said is exactly correct. Be aware that a 16x16 tileset needs a minimum resolution of 1280x400 - if you intend to play on a small screen(e.g. a laptop), this might not be viable. The link above has tilesets as small as 8x8 (though the most popular is still 16x16, and has a section devoted to it).
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 02:10:59 pm »

In your art folder.

curses_square_16x16.bmp

How do I get it to use this? Just change the settings in the init file?
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Patchouli

• Bay Watcher
  • Where very delicious cake shop?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:22:04 pm »

In your art folder.

curses_square_16x16.bmp

How do I get it to use this? Just change the settings in the init file?
Yeah.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 09:31:20 pm »

Note that the game looks in your art folder automatically. You do not need to (and in fact should not) specify this - I'm not sure if the game even can look in a subdirectory, but if you tell it to look for art\curses_square_16x16.bmp / .png, it will almost certainly get the wrong idea. Just look in the art folder to double-check the filename and extension, and put the full filename(but NOT the path) in place of curses_640x480 or curses_800x600 or whatever.

(A number of the tilesets on the Wiki are slightly tweaked versions of the curses_square_16x16 set that attempt to make it look cleaner and less distorted; you may find that one of them is a little easier on the eyes than the stock curses font - you don't need to choose one of the tilesets that tries to be more graphical. To use any of them, save the file to your DF\art directory and put the appropriate filename in the init file. If you're using the legacy version of DF, you will need to make sure to either download a BMP, or get a PNG with a bright magenta background and use a graphics program to save it as a 24-bit bitmap; MS Paint can do this. If you're using the SDL version, you can just use the PNG.)
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.