Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunting for food  (Read 819 times)

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunting for food
« on: August 05, 2010, 08:15:43 am »

sorry for the quest fot beginner, and for my english: but how do i send my dwarfes in search of foof?
i have one dwarf ranger, i turned the hunting profession but continues to do everything except for food, and my colony as zero food and zero fish....

KrazyDocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunting for food
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:41:39 am »

Hunters require a crossbow and some bolts.  I think if you start out with a hunter, he will come equipped with them.  But once you run out of bolts, you'll have to make new ones.  ALSO, you'll need to have a butcher and build a butcher workshop.  Once your hunter returns the kill, it'll only be able to be processed into food at the butcher shop.  You can further process it by cooking those prepared parts at a kitchen workshop by a cook.

If you are a beginner, hunting is probably not the best way to try to gather food.  I think gathering plants is probably the simplest.  It uses the "herbalist" skill and the labour is called "plant gathering".  This is simple because you just designate an area (much like designating trees to be cut) and all the shrubs will be collected as various plants, ready for eating.  No processing needed.  Designate using "d","p" I think.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 08:50:35 am »

you can make both a crossbow and bolts from wood if you need to.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 09:00:08 am »

thanks

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:14:29 pm »

To hunt, you need the hunting labor activated on the dwarf, he needs a crossbow, bolts, and a QUIVER. The bolts go into the quiver, and without it, a hunter won't hunt.

You can make bolts at a craftsdwarf workshop--- you need wood for wooden bolts, and bone for bone bolts.

You can make a crossbow at a bowyer's workshop. You need wood for wooden crossbows, bone for bone crossbows.

Crossbows can be made of metal, as can bolts, but that takes much more than you can do with your initial 7 starting dwarves and a new fortress.

The quiver can be made out of leather. The new embarks under 31.12 embark with 3 quivers, unless you removed them in the set up. If you have, you may have trouble getting a hunter to actually hunt until you can import some leather and work it in a leatherworker's workshop.

The easist way to get food when starting out is to harvest the local plants with herbalists, as directed by an above poster. Once your dwarves have eaten or brewed those plants, they'll get seeds, and you can then make a farm plot outside in a green area, and then plant those seeds. You will need to make use of the (q)uery command on the farm plot--- and to build a farm plot, you need to use the (b)uild farmplo(t) command and then use the sizing keys to size your farm plot. It's a bit to learn all at once, but once you have outdoor farming down, you are well on your way to mastering the basics of using the dwarf user interface.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 02:19:44 am »

this QUIVER thing really throw me off, and the wiki don't speak of it. It is a novelty of DF2010.

So, related question, I went hunting with 2 axemen and they killed a deer. The dead deer is in brown font. How do I retrieve the corpse and send it for cooking?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 04:58:42 am »

So, related question, I went hunting with 2 axemen and they killed a deer. The dead deer is in brown font. How do I retrieve the corpse and send it for cooking?

Make sure you have your dwarves set to gather refuse from outside (the 'o'rders menu -> 'r'efuse).  You may also need a refuse stockpile.  Then a dwarf with the butcher labor enabled will take the deer apart into edible bits in the butcher's workshop.  A tanner's workshop to deal with the skin is also handy.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 05:27:45 am »

Pretty important to note, in order to really go anywhere with a hunter, you must at minimum build a butcher shop and have a dwarf set to do the Butchering labor; and to really get a huge pile of food, make a kitchen and have a dwarf set to do the Cooking labor, and have the kitchen "prepare X meals" on repeat.  If your map has large critters, one hunter will produce wayyy more food and bones than you can reasonably make use off, and some of it is a pretty good export item for trade.  There's also Leather (tanner's shop) and tooth/ivory craftsdwarf stuff.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 08:06:55 am »

i have preparated a outside farm, and i have only 3 seed to plant, none of these can produce food, but i tried ho to plant the seeds.
but my dwarfes still do not sow anything

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 11:10:19 am »

Full directions on farming can be found on the wiki: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Farming

It's possible you don't have a dwarf with the Farming skill enabled or your seeds are for underground plants.  Certain plants can only grow aboveground and others only grow underground. 

Anything you can plant will be able to generate something that can be cooked or brewed as long as you have a Kitchen, Still and/or Farmer's Workshop.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 05:38:33 pm »

Actually, aren't some plants ONLY usabe if you have a powered millstone or quirn set up?

Outdoor plants will grow in any farm plot created in a green area of the screen. However, outdoor plants will not grow in a rock only area (ie, mountain biomes), and it has been reported on the forums that if any tile of a outdoor farm plot is over such areas, the entire plot is useless.

If you don't have any seed you can plant outside, it sounds like at this point, you still only have underground plant seeds, or set up your farm plot in a stone only area.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 09:33:19 am »

my farm is useless and do not know why... ( this is my first game with DF...) but i have trade for food and kill my camel for food  :)
but now i am in the winter and i can't find water, but only ice......

magicwalker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 10:47:40 am »

Use the cave-in irrigation method to turn the ice into usable water. Then build farm plots on this new muddied surface once it evaporates.
If I wanted to do things the "easy way", then I wouldn't be playing Dwarf Fortress.