Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom foods with effects?  (Read 684 times)

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Custom foods with effects?
« on: August 06, 2010, 04:33:47 pm »

Is it possible to add effects to plants, like when eaten it could cause dizzyness/drowsyness or some other effect?

Cheers.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: Custom foods with effects?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 05:01:50 pm »

No, you can't.  Currently the only way for syndromes to appear without being injected is if they contaminate a creature's inventory or are inhaled, there's no tag for consumed ones.  Sorry.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »

What about Gnomeblight? I thought that if you leave it around, Gnomes will guzzle it and die.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 06:59:46 pm »

If that's been proven, I haven't seen it.  Technically if you splattered gnomeblight on a gnome it would rot to bits, though.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 09:11:00 pm »

You're right, I read the page a while ago. It will cause necrosis, but there isn't any way to get it on or in them.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 08:56:33 am »

hopefully one day...we will be able to load barrels onto catapults... ... ...or...you know...put the poison on a blade...  no...catapults are better

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 09:25:59 am »

can't you do all this when your in adv mode?
so like throwing it on a gnome?
won't this make it able to use a painkiller in adv mode?

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:24:51 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys, and appologies for my tardiness.

Ah well, there go my hopes of making a Weed plant hehe. Im sure one day though this wont all be out of the realms of possibilities.

Lofn, you mentioned that the syndromes could be inhaled, how about an extract that has a boiling point slightly higher than ambient temps, so that when placed above magma in a bucket (Dwarven Bong) it will boil away into a gas?

You could have a line of them in a hallway, when the gobbos arrive you could pull a lever which causes lava to flow below the extracts, the gobbos should then inhale the mist.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 05:13:36 pm »

I've noticed you want large amounts of the liquid to boil away, mostly because breathing isn't quite known how it works exactly. I should say... WHEN they take a breath.

Yes, you can make a material which boils away at just above underground temperature and all. However, applying it in large amounts is the key, making sure that they all inhale it. I say underground because the temperature of underground doesn't change unless a heat source is a tile away. I've done tons of testing with this and have only been able to make fire at least affect a 3x3 tile area with the 2x2 tile being the source. (the middle)

I've tested it with a cold heat and with an extreme heat... and 3x3 was as big as I could get it... (I haven't played .12 yet.)

Look up the bonfire mod if you don't feel like using lava.

I used rocks because they were very easy to place.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!