Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More noble settings  (Read 772 times)

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
More noble settings
« on: September 14, 2010, 05:26:33 am »

So it struck me the other day that the only noble who abides by any user settings is the bookkeeper - the player decides how much work he is to do organising the stocks and stores of the fortress. I wondered if it it would be beneficial having other noble settings that dictate how the fortress operates,

- broker - how quickly he prioritises trading, setting values for certain commodities
- manager - how available he makes himself to meetings, maybe choose whether he consoles or (the opposite) to his charges (I know he does one of two choices?)
- captain of the guard - level of punishments meted out from slaps on the wrist to lethal punishment
-militia commander - sets a stance on arms and armor (ie: wear them all the time or not), punishments for draft dodging?
- mayor - immigration related settings?
- royal nobles - sets tolerance of failed mandates
- philosopher ?
- dungeon master ?

basically some way of modifying key aspects of the game by deciding how your nobles want people to behave. so you cold end up with a chaotic or lawless fortress, or a super strict lawful city, a relaxed city favoring the artisan or martial fortress. each setting could have benefits and drawbacks. just a suggestion, i didnt think it had been mentioned before.....

Ullallulloo

• Bay Watcher
  • My paperclip's name is Thomasalexandrenite.
    • View Profile
    • Ullallulloo's Blog
Re: More noble settings
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:14 am »

I think this would be cool. Although you shouldn't be able to just say send tons of immigrants, don't care about mandates, and don't punish anybody unless there was some negative side effect, like it'd make your mayor have to spend all his time writing letters trying to convince people to come, have the choice between punishing for failed mandates and making your noble emo, and making punishment actually make people less likely to do the same thing again.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More noble settings
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:17:29 am »

Say the manager got to set how often he wanted workers to take breaks... There would be pros and cons to each setting - bad moods for those working through their breaks but higher productivity. A good mood for those inclined to sneak a break and not get busted. On the other hand, increase breaks, more relaxed and rested populace but at the cost of productivty - maybe increased quality from restedness? I wouldn't want it to be unfair, a pro and a con for each setting but all adding flavor to the fort. The tradeoff for high books precision is one dorf stuck at his desk all day- not a huge penalty considering the benefits!