Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suitable tomb for Fallen Warrior  (Read 1611 times)

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
Suitable tomb for Fallen Warrior
« on: August 04, 2010, 09:58:58 pm »

I know there was a similar thread long ago, but I'm to lazy to necro it. I'm looking for general suggestions and ideas.

I just started playing 31.12 (finally considered it bug-free enough to be playable) and encountered my first FB. It was a fire-breathing worm with aqua scales. I sent my marksdwarves squad down and deconstructed one of the walls protecting my cave farm. The worm immediately set out for the fortress, only to be ambushed by the marksdwarves squad at a rock formation just outside. My marksdwarves were equipped with iron bolts- at least two of them were. They shredded the beast's scales, but couldn't penetrate. As they fired, my militia commander jumped in, having dropped all his bolts despite being assigned a stack, and hit it with his maple crossbow.

Guess how well that went.

Alas, bravery was wasted as the beast bit the commander in half. And was promptly killed by a bolt to the head from the new commander.

My question is: what kind of a tomb should I make for the poor brave fool? I have a legendary mason and carpender, and a decent blacksmith and metalcrafter. I don't have a gem industry, and only have a small amount of valuable metal (platinum). I'm up to my ears in iron and coal. I have no surface magma, and I've only breached the second cavern layer(there's a frikkin lake right where I was going to put my spiral staircase!).

I'm tempted to dig him a tomb in the rock formation next to where he fell. I have a masterpiece cinnibar coffin laying around somewhere. I want a worthy tomb for the one that could have been a legend, but gave his life in a brave futile attempt to save his people.

Any suggestions?
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Suitable tomb for Fallen Warrior
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 10:02:47 pm »

Actually, my preferred method of "Dwarven Burial" (along the lines of Viking Burial) involves burying the dwarf in a tomb that is then magma-flooded and then watered to cast it into obsidian.

You can then carve the obsidian his body is now a part of into a statue to himself, and place it in your great hall for all dwarves to look up to and admire (or possibly give a toast to in your mead halls).  (Of course, you might need some serious savescumming to ACTUALLY get a statue of that dwarf.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 10:14:47 pm »

Sadly, no magma yet. I actually used to (in 40d) build a bauxite boat over a magma tube, load it with masterwork stuff, put masterwork coffins for my legendary warriors in it, and when it was full, have somebody pull the lever (which may or may not have been inside the boat) to collapse the few supports and sent my warriors down the magma on their final journey.

Of course, half the fortress would start tantruming from the loss of masterpieces and from having "witnessed the decay of a friend".

But now I can't really do that- there's no point in dropping it onto the half-molten rock. The charm in the 40d method was that they actually left the map and essentially departed from the world for all time with nothing left behind but weeping widows, great statues, bleached bones, and tales by the fireside at night.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 10:43:54 pm »

But now I can't really do that- there's no point in dropping it onto the half-molten rock. The charm in the 40d method was that they actually left the map and essentially departed from the world for all time with nothing left behind but weeping widows, great statues, bleached bones, and tales by the fireside at night.

I thought that everything touching semimolten rock instantly melts. It's functionally the same.

Alternately, you could drop the boat down a shaft directly into the HFS.

GildedBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 01:28:06 am »

My suggestion. A smallish room with an odd number of tiles on a side. I would go with 3x3. A statue in each corner, I'd probably go with platinum or red rock to match the coffin. Hopefully they will be of the dwarf or the FB, but you'd have to be lucky. And then on the levels above you should set it up so that once you have magma you can encase him, and the statues in obsidian.

Thadius

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:homemade coffee]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 01:33:05 am »

I think I have figured out the best thing you could do.

Create a long hallway, filled with weapon traps.  At the end of the hallway, have the tomb of the brave warrior and two statues.  Also, have an infinite goblin cage.

Pull a lever to unleash the goblins from their cage, have them run down the hallway and die from repeated stabbing/slicing/dicing/etc.

Then forbid the door leading to the tomb.  Voila, your warrior, should he ever be found in adventurer mode, has a hallway of blood and bone leading to his tomb.

Bonus points if you dig a shaft leading to the surface so that moonlight lands on his tomb.
If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves from their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:08:13 am »

Extra bonus points if you keep feral animals in a cage, and seal the tomb with a lever-operated drawbridge that simultaneously releases the contents of the cage. Your warrior now has a tomb guarded by ferocious immortal monsters. The (untamed) animals/people won't die since they're in a built cage that is linked to a lever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hellfish

• Bay Watcher
  • Just struck earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 02:22:40 am »

Obviously fill the burial chamber with maple crossbows and iron bolts and a steel coffin for him. Then flood the chamber with magma to spite him in his wooden-crossbow-meleeing stupidity.
Up a floor? Why do I have to go up a floor, I'm just trying to empty my bucket on the floor here!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 02:28:11 am »

Coffin at the end of a hallway.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:59:01 am »

You could have a high room with magma channels running underneath it and narrow walkways above the magma. But my favorite is the long weapon trapped hallway that is perpetually slaughtering goblins - drop all your captured goblins in there to add to the greatness of the tomb.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 07:24:44 am »

Make a mosaic on the ground where your commander fell out of the forgotten beast's fat turned into soap bars and maple blocks - should be doable by building roads.  Place the coffin in the centre of this.

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:26:00 am »

I've not actually done this yet, but it should work in theory: create a chamber and smooth the walls. Place the coffin and some statues inside, making sure they're all made of magma proof materials. Have the dwarf buried, then wall in the chamber. Once you have access to magma, fill the chamber. If all goes well, the coffin and statues will stay intact, providing a fiery, but still completely whole tomb for your warrior.

Alternatively if you're playing in a freezing biome, do the same with water, then open the roof of the tomb and make all the water freeze. Not sure if that would keep the tomb intact though.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 08:06:41 pm »

I decided to go with kinda an Egyptian route- giving the tomb everything the person would like/need in life (with the exception of food).

I looked at his prefs and saw that among the things he liked were grates and native gold. So I gave him the masterpiece cinnibar coffin, two exceptional statues of himself, one masterpiece of the founding of the fortress, a masterpiece table and chair, and two native gold walls. I'm going to have my engravers go over it, then I will seal it with a masterpiece wall grate and a quartzite wall to blend in.

When the world is old and the dwarves are gone, when those who perished are called forth from whatever nether-realm they traveled to, may he awake and dwell in passing in the fortress he died defending, before he goes forth into the reborn world. In his new world may he be one of the first, the founders, the forefathers. When the Age of Myths once again follows the Age of Emptiness, may he be among those who first emerge from the mountains and the caves with adamant pick and masterwrought armor to begin the new race of Dwarves in a new world.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 09:56:34 pm »

Outside pyramid at least 50 z lvls high, put the coffin in a 3x3 underneath.  bonus points if more than 2 dwarves die in the construction.

I usually set the tombs of my warriors into the outside wall of my fort
If life gives you lemons, burn them.