Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is it possible to get by without wood?  (Read 1803 times)

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to get by without wood?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 07:15:07 am »

Also, try using the Reserve Barrels option in the stockpile menu (where you place stockpiles, rather than 'q'ing on a stockpile).

This will reserve the number of barrels you specify for tasks which specifically use barrels (i.e. Brew Drink) as opposed to food/seed storage.  It will make your food stockpiles less condensed (until you make more barrels) but you won't run out of barrels for your booze.

It's not the perfect solution to your problem, but it's a solution, and one you can implement immediately without any additional outlay of labor or raw materials.

Gahhhh! This is the first time I heard about this!  And I've been dumping prepared meals and fiddling with stockpile options to try to get some spare barrels to make more booze.

Also to correct a slight mistake in the previous information, to make a charcoal piece from wood, you need a dwarf with the Wood Burning labor enabled (under Farming) and a Wood Furnace workshop (not a smelter).  Turning coal/lignite into coke requires the Furnace Operator labor, and a Smelter.  So essentially you only turn on the labor and build the shop for one job, then get rid of it.  It also really really helps to forbid one piece of coke after you start smelting, because when you run out unexpectedly you'll need some fuel with which to smelt more coal and lignite...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:52:38 am by Dorf3000 »
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 07:30:36 am »

Of course, there's always modding...

There have been numerous mods that make beds out of alternate materials, and there's nothing that's really cheating about making a stone bed that requires a pig tail mattress and animal pelt blanket if you happen to have much more of those than wood.
You maybe have a manual for making beds from metal and stones? :P

I have seen beds with all-metal frames.  Stuffing a cloth mattress with horsehair would be quite realistic.  A leather blanket would be kind of strange, but these are Dwarves, so why not?  :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 08:09:11 am »

Also to correct a slight mistake in the above information, to make a charcoal piece from wood, you need a dwarf with the Wood Burning labor enabled (under Farming) and a Wood Furnace workshop (not a smelter).  Turning coal/lignite into coke requires the Furnace Operator labor, and a Smelter.  So essentially you only turn on the labor and build the shop for one job, then get rid of it.  It also really really helps to forbid one piece of coke after you start smelting, because when you run out unexpectedly you'll need some fuel with which to smelt more coal and lignite...

Technically, if you want to make clear glass (or crystal glass, once Toady fixes it so you can actually make it again) or fertilize your farm fields (if you want really big stacks of plants and thus lots and lots of booze per barrel), you'll want to leave the wood furnace around so you can make ashes (and then process them into potash in an Ashery and then to pearlash in a Kiln).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 08:39:51 am »

That last step of course is only for making clear glass.

Speaking of glass, do you have sand? If so, sand + magma glass furnace = infinite building materials/furniture.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 [2]