Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How deadly is Infection?  (Read 6589 times)

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How deadly is Infection?
« on: August 05, 2010, 05:56:13 am »

In my last migrant wave I got a Dwarf with Highmaster Bone setting and Suturing. Naturally, he is now a doctor and I would much like to keep him, as I have no other skilled bone setters. However, the complication is that I was ambushed by Kobolds while the migrants ran to the fort entrance.
The kobolds were dealt with, but not before injuring several of the migrants. My new doctor has a broken leg, among other things. All other injuries have been treated and are fine, but I noticed the wound still shows up as untreated, as has no treatment scheduled. And is infected.
So, my question is, How deadly is infection?
Is there any way I can treat it?

I really want this dwarf to survive, mainly for his skills, but partially so I can maintain 'House' as a permanent fortress resident.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: How deadly is Infection?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 06:08:42 am »

A infection can be pretty deadly. I have the feeling that having your dwarfs do nothing can sometimes increase the chance of survivability. But I don't think any research has been done.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

doctorspoof

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 06:09:49 am »

Generally, if a dwarf has an infection, he will eventually succumb unless you manage to clean it, you might need soap to do it more successfully (AFAIR, water only has a 'chance' of cleaning the wound, but soap + water will always clean it, or something).

I think anyway, don't hold me to it :)
The best way to avoid tantrum spirals is to make sure no-one lives long enough to make any friends.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 06:11:20 am »

So making some soap might help somewhat?

The race is on: make several bars of soap before the dwarf dies of infection. Should be Fun, I think I have some tallow lying around.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 06:15:39 am »

It might be more effective if you build one or more wells those have cleaner water (somehow).
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 06:16:02 am »

Cleaning the wound does not fight infection, merely prevent it. If it's there already, all you can do is pray.
Many survive it, but your dwarf may take long time to recover.

EDIT: On the other hand, if the wound itself is untreated, you need to do something about it anyway.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:18:30 am by Murphy »