Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Resetting the "Treatment" for injured dwarves?  (Read 1790 times)

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Resetting the "Treatment" for injured dwarves?
« on: July 30, 2010, 08:39:54 am »

While most of my dwarves who get injured work their way through the hospital just fine (exceping known issues with casts and doctors stuck at wells), a few...  got stuck.  One was just a child when he was injured 4 years ago, and is now an adult, with the same 4 red wounds.  Sometimes they get infected, sometimes not.   While his wounds show up fine on the health screen, the treatment panel is "no treatment scheduled".  I think he (or she, I forget) was cleaned and diagnosed (hence I know it was 4 years), but never got any further treatment.  There are quite often doctors with "No Job" and the labors enabled (it has been 4 years, and many others have been treated).   No doctor ever attempts to help this poor dwarf, who also seems incapable of any self-healing.

As his lot is now shared with a legendary axedwarf, I'd like to fix this if possible.  Does anybody have any ideas?   
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 08:42:46 am by JimboOmega »

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Resetting the "Treatment" for injured dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 11:23:44 am »

Injure them some more. It means that they have to be rediagnosed, since the problem you are experiencing is to do with dwarves with a low diagnostician skill being bad at diagnosing.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 09:59:25 am »

And how do I do that?  If I cause another cave in on them in the hospital...  I'm going to spend a lot of time trying to get buckets with water in the hands of my bone doctor.  Is there any way to avoid that?

Brandon816

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:25:23 am »

A lever attached to a spike trap with a masterpiece spike in it works pretty well. More often than not, it just strikes a limb and has minimal bleeding, although you might want to save just in case before actually triggering the trap. Anyway, draft the dwarf into a squad by their self and station them over the spike trap then trigger it.

Also, unless you want to use multiple spike traps or wait a long time for the dwarf to actually stand on the trap (since stationed dwarves wander around a 7x7 area around the station designation, you should put the trap on its own z-level with only 1 square accessible. Something along the lines of the following will work.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cyntrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 11:08:46 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Where impaling dwarves on spikes counts as healthcare.
"[...] begin to seek immortality, the secrets of which they can receive directly from any available death god [...]" -Toady

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 11:43:14 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Where impaling dwarves on spikes counts as healthcare.

It's like when they have to re-break your bones to set them straight... If the quack you went to the first time had done it right, there'd be no problem!
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 12:23:24 am »

But I'm afraid the three who shared this fate...  well, I don't think they can walk. 

One of them, actually, couldn't/wouldn't be treated, and was snet out to work in the mines...  with a hand off and the arm and shoulder both red.  He'd rest in the hospital if I disabled his labors but would receive no treatment.

Anyway he caused a cave in on himself, and so was back in the hospital, and not receiving treatment.

Of course, after the last round of gobbos...  my doctors are busy enough,  even without things like wells to gaze in to distract them.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 11:02:17 pm »

One more, related question - after a dwarf has been injured and treated, do his/her wounds ever heal?

voneiden

• Bay Watcher
  • hngh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 12:29:36 pm »

I had a patient that was stuck in bed unconcious with a crushed and infected leg and my Doc. Bone failed to diagnose the patient (lvl0 diagnosis: "LAD'S GONNA BE ALRIGHT"). After some thinking I figured to teleport him deep down in the caves using the program Runesmith, just next to some lizard monster wielding a spear. The lizard stabbed him three times, two of the first stabs being deflected by the dwarf's armor, and third penetrating his other leg. Then I teleported him back next to his bed in hospital, and he was soon carried to bed and diagnosed by someone slightly more comptenet than my dabbling diagnoser Doc. Bone.

One more, related question - after a dwarf has been injured and treated, do his/her wounds ever heal?
If the wounds are not too horrific, then surely this should happen.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 08:47:33 pm »

I figured that diagnosis, like most other medical professions, is only slower for less skilled dwarves, rather than something that results in dwarves permanently bedridden.  In any case I'd think they'd heal at least a little or something. :(.

My lifetime bedridden kid did get out of bed when the mood struck him.  He made a raw adamantine bracelet worth 900k.  Then went back to bed for the rest of his life.

I wonder if I could get some caged goblin with no equipment...  and then somehow get the injured people there (but how?).  Would a few "Bruises" be enough to trigger re-treatment?  I've never worked with cages so I'll have to see.

Edit: I also wish my hospital would stop using adamantine thread - the only solution I have is to keep making adamantine wafers constantly, since they seem to be really keen on using it :(.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 09:10:26 pm by JimboOmega »