Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: translation possibilityes  (Read 940 times)

Bug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
translation possibilityes
« on: August 05, 2010, 11:14:20 am »

Hello everyone!
I was thinking, is there a way to translate dwarf fortress into other languages without modifying the original scripts, so the translation could be copyed to other versions without changing the game mechanics? Like it would be stored in a different txt file which only used to store the data how things are being written. Also, is there a possibility to change the characters/tilesets only for the menu? Cause we here (in Hungary) using áéőúűóüűú letters too, but I had to find out that they used to simbolize other stuff in here (I'm using the mayday graphics pack). So yeah, that would be it, any ideas?

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: translation possibilityes
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:21:04 am »

The main problem with translation is that the grammer would have to change aswell which is currently bound to most messages and descriptions.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Bug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 11:25:10 am »

thats what im saying, so if they could remain in the way they are in the program, but they would be detoured to an other text file if the script asks what message to display.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 11:28:06 am »

Yhea but the main problem is how are you going to translate the unique description of how urist mcdiedfiveyearsago felt like dancing in magma.
Or the way unique names are done.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Bug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 11:43:40 am »

Oh yeah, still it worth a try... maybe other join up
Maybe sentence formulas wich also can be modified? Like He+likes+(insert name from stuff.txt) and all pieces of them can be replaced to words or to make it look for the correct word from a file etc...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:21:42 pm by Bug »

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: translation possibilitIes
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 01:21:42 pm »

So basically, you would have like "%X% likes %Y%" but in latin it would be like "%Y% is liked by %X%" or whatever?
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Totte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 03:57:43 am »

Translate it to chinese would look like the matrix screen. Now I understand how they see the matrix world on that screen. "I used to notice thouse letters but now I only see a world"

Bug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: translation possibilitIes
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 04:51:36 am »

So basically, you would have like "%X% likes %Y%" but in latin it would be like "%Y% is liked by %X%" or whatever?
Yeah, kind of, and these formulas could be changed depending on how you say that in other languages.
Edit:ok, now I found out that you say the exact same thing, I shouldn't write on forums after a certain hour... xD
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 03:44:51 am by Bug »