Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

When gaming, what role are you most willing to fill?

Game Master Only
- 0 (0%)
Game Master or Player
- 16 (57.1%)
Player Only
- 12 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]

Author Topic: Virtual Tabletop Gaming Club  (Read 21966 times)

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Virtual Tabletop Gaming Club
« Reply #360 on: August 02, 2010, 04:11:57 pm »

So I guess no RPG for me unless I'll pick up some rulebooks. D&D is most popular? I wouldn't want to learn some obscure system and have no one to play with.

Evilgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 02, 2010, 04:15:28 pm »

So I guess no RPG for me unless I'll pick up some rulebooks. D&D is most popular? I wouldn't want to learn some obscure system and have no one to play with.

This is me.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: August 02, 2010, 04:53:05 pm »

Nobody will want that.

You just need to read a few chapters of D&D. Character Creation and Combat is all you need. The other chapters of lists of things you can use to make your character.

But it's important for both sides to know the rules.

Honestly, I wouldn't say no body.  Maybe they wouldn't wish for it, but I think that there are a lot people out there who would be willing to help inexperienced players if it meant a better campaign over all.  Really, though, I think it would be much more enjoyable for you if you took a little time and studied some of the rules.  Sure it is isn't the most thrilling of pass times, but you gotta think about what it means in the end.  Delayed gratification, you know?  Plus, since you've already been playing around in DnD settings via Baldur's Gate and TOEE, you've got some of the basics down.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 05:37:56 pm by Carrion »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 02, 2010, 05:00:44 pm »

You can't really play well if the DM is running things for you.  You have to know the rules.
Shoes...

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 02, 2010, 06:25:30 pm »

Which is why I first located some books of Traveler to check it out :).  I think I may have a bunch of D&D 3rd or advanced or some such laying about in PDF form somewhere.  I recall wanting to play the gladiator type so if anyone wants me for that I can go for it.

Incidentally Maid RPG and Paranoia can be run in a single session without player knowledge as I've don it multiple times.  However all attempts to do so with shadowrun met with massive failure.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:30:31 pm by neotemplar »
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2010, 06:39:42 pm »

If you don't want to spring for the *actual book* version of the player's hand book, the SRD (System Resources Document) is basically that book in website format.

And then, preferably after playing a few sessions to get a feel for the game, try checking out some sourcebooks. I'd recommend Complete Scoundrel (for sneaky stuff), the Tome of Battle (for a melee person), Complete Champion (Devotion feats are exceptionally good, even for non-clerics), and probably Unearthed Arcana (it has alternate versions of the base classes, some of them are quite interesting).
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: August 02, 2010, 07:03:51 pm »

Hmm.
I'm up for a traveler campaign.
I'll go dig up the rules.
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #367 on: August 03, 2010, 01:22:57 am »

I got nothing

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 03, 2010, 08:44:02 pm »

I am going to make a thread for people who want to play Traveller. I've done it before, though, so we might not actually have enough interested parties.

Here we go. Sign up there.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:47:43 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25]