Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demon Killing Chamber (might contain spoilers for new players)  (Read 2529 times)

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

By carefully carving fortifications into that shiny blue stuff, I found the big fun place deep down (actually it is at z-30).

Now, thanks to the 100s of demons that spawned, my fps went down to 10. I know demons spawn infinitely, but I'd like to set up some room where my marksdwarves could get some live practice shooting (and maybe increase my fps again). Problem is: I never dealt with demons before.

The Demons dont have access to my fortress/caverns so I'm perfectly save so far. At the moment they just dispersed down in hell and I dont see any of them, but I'm sure that if i build it, they will come. :P
Since demons can do practically everything (fly, destroy buildings, fireballs) I am really not sure how to trap or to confine them in an area long enough for my dwarves to kill them.
Do drawbridges with moats work?
Could I build something like a big maze the demons have to run through while my crossbowmen are shooting down at them from one z level above?
Is there any way to somehow interact with hell without letting demons out (hatches, grates)?

I suppose, I could always build an obsidian casting chamber - but that doesnt give my military any practice.
(a>b) ? false : true

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Killing Chamber (might contain spoilers for new players)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:59:18 pm »

Couple options you can use:

1) Spike trap maze. Lots and lots and lots of steel spikes. Link them all to a repeater. Make it a very long, 1 tile wide maze to maximize the amount of time they need to walk from one end to the other.

2) Cave-in trap. Collapse the ceiling on top of them, demons go squish.

3) THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS.  Recruit 300 dwarves, give them your finest weapons and armor, station them at a chokepoint to bottleneck the endless demon hordes, meet them in glorious combat.

I prefer option 3. You end up with epic feats of valor that make for much better engravings than cheese. :D

Ethereal.Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:05:49 pm »

You end up with epic feats of valor that make for much better engravings than engravings of cheese. :D

Fixed.
Can't you also damn rivers by causing a wall to drop into the water via cave-in?
I figured you could always damn a river by channeling out it out all the way into Hell.

Toast024

• Bay Watcher
  • Goes good with jam or butter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:34:39 pm »

Just out of curiosity, if I wall off chasms and the walls of hell, using hax, will demons still spawn?
The learning curve of the df forums should be equal to that of df itself.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 05:45:22 pm »

Couple options you can use:

1) Spike trap maze. Lots and lots and lots of steel spikes. Link them all to a repeater. Make it a very long, 1 tile wide maze to maximize the amount of time they need to walk from one end to the other.

2) Cave-in trap. Collapse the ceiling on top of them, demons go squish.

3) THIS. IS. DWARF FORTRESS.  Recruit 300 dwarves, give them your finest weapons and armor, station them at a chokepoint to bottleneck the endless demon hordes, meet them in glorious combat.

I prefer option 3. You end up with epic feats of valor that make for much better engravings than cheese. :D

Suppose I could just mine more adamantine (found 3 pillars so far) and sent my dwarves to fight them.
Afterall its a win win situation: I kill demons and gain FPS AND i get my dwarves killed and gain FPS.

Lets see if I get nice engravings of engravings of cheese then... :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:47:39 pm by DTF »
(a>b) ? false : true