Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Handling specific items and assigning specific gear  (Read 622 times)

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Handling specific items and assigning specific gear
« on: August 03, 2010, 06:03:13 pm »

Is there a method for handling single items, such as moving them to a specific tile or assigning a specific dwarf to use a certain axe (through military or not)?

Had an issue earlier where a Dorf was holding on to my only copper axe because I had made a military too soon and he took the only one that I had... Took me a while to figure out where it went, but eventually I disbanded the squad and could chop trees again.

I'd like to have a few squads, but one squad of elite, very well armed, armored, and trained Dorfs to be the backbone of the military. This means I don't want other squads taking the gear that I make for them... How do I do this?

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Handling specific items and assigning specific gear
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 06:06:15 pm »

I'm having military issues myself, but just wanted to point out that at your carpenter, you can have them making training axes out of wood.  Your woodcutters will use these to chop down trees.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 06:46:40 pm »

Sure you can, go in the military menu, then type "e" to equip them, you can give them specific equip from there.

If you have a bookeeper (go in the noble menu to set him) you can also go in the stock menu ("z" then select stock then press enter) and see exactly what weapon you have in your all fort (go in weapon list then use tab to get the exact list) and even can zoom "z" on a weapon to see who have it or where it is. But you'll need a bookeeper, but its not that much of work you can put a carpenter or whatever non intensive worker be bookeeper, i always set one after my first wave, as i can't do without one.

So for military equipement it is quiet simple, but now if you want to move that particular item, let say an instrument, its not that easy. The old method is to put a stocpile for that item where you want it, forbid all the same items so the dwarf will move only this one, but it can be tricky in a big fortress. The good news is that you probably won't ever need to do such thing.

gramks2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 06:53:02 pm »

Ahh thanks for that information. I've learned quite a bit from my first few forts. It's just that in my last one I happened to make an artifact platinum anvil (only notable thing was a "wave" depicted on the side of it) and I was wondering if I could lay out an area to put it in to display it for everyone.

As for the military... I guess it's just going to get a bit tedious, but doable.