Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low Frames per second.  (Read 629 times)

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Low Frames per second.
« on: August 03, 2010, 08:08:22 am »

So my fortress of 150 dwarves and 25 or so babies, is running very slow now. 13 fps. I've slaughtered most of the animals now, (there were eight or so pages), and am trying to simplify my fortress. Contaminents are a major problem, I have one baby with 300 different types of slood and mud on her.

Is there anything that i can do to get the framerate up again a little. If I slaughter all of the babies, and half of the dwarves, will that work ?? Do i need to sell all spare stuff to the elves ?? Is there a mod or something that can clean up my map at all ??

If I went down to ten dwarves and no items, would the framerate still be pretty low now ?

On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Low Frames per second.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:28 am »

Less living things = less pathing = more fps, so, yes. However, if you brought your population down by killing dwarves, the last 10 would likely descend into a tantrum spiral.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:57:53 am »

Lots of items lying on the ground can also cause lag due to temperature calculations, so it can definitely help to atomsmash any large quantities of unwanted loose stone you might have. Alternatively, turning off [TEMPERATURE] in init.txt (or d_init.txt, whichever one it is) will likely give you a sizeable FPS boost, but at the expense of making magma utterly harmless.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:46 am »

does that make dragonfire harmless also ? Is it reversable ? thanks for advice. I could also turn climate off, but it's only the rain that washes away blood and mud.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 10:16:55 am »

Because contaminant cleaning is a bit broken right now, I advocate DFCleanmap for when it gets ridiculous. Turning off temperature and weather in the init is fully reversible.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 11:14:25 am »

Because contaminant cleaning is a bit broken right now, I advocate DFCleanmap for when it gets ridiculous. Turning off temperature and weather in the init is fully reversible.
... except that any dwarves who walk through magma when temperature is off will immediately burst into flame when you turn it back on.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:58:41 pm »

Ok. I atomised every spare item on the map, probably a thousand items overall, or more. And my framerate went down by one, (stable population.)

I'm going to give DFCleanup a go now. :)

otze3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 03:18:57 pm »

The only way I found to keep steady fps is to keep pathable terrain to a minimum. One tile wide paths, one central stairway, walling off mined areas, isolating fort entrances with moats/walls/raised bridges.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 03:24:00 pm »

If you don't use traffic zones you could go into the init and change the cost of normol pathing from 2 to 1 this makes a bit of a diffrence especially if you have a lot of dwarfs pathing over short distances.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 03:38:05 pm »

The only way I found to keep steady fps is to keep pathable terrain to a minimum. One tile wide paths, one central stairway, walling off mined areas, isolating fort entrances with moats/walls/raised bridges.
That's actually not a very good idea - if your hallways are only 1 tile wide, you'll get utterly horrific traffic jams whenever multiple dwarves want to walk through them. Any high traffic hallway should be at least 2 tiles wide, preferably 3, ideally with some traffic designations to optimize pathing a bit.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.