Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Firesleep Smoke Breathing Crab of Death  (Read 882 times)

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Firesleep Smoke Breathing Crab of Death
« on: August 01, 2010, 08:56:51 pm »

He broke through a flood gate.

His firesleep smoke goes down the entire length of any hallway. and 10 levels up and down stairways.

My military was caught on fire, and then went to sleep or rest in the middle of battle.

Dorfs love gathering items.

142 dorfs are resting

nom nom nom nom nom nom nom

Crab is now full

I thought i was doing well.  Epic fail.  I just needed to post this, because i was so proud of my awesome fortress of awesomeness only to have it brought down by a stupid crab.  It was either post on the forum or drown my pets in the bathtub and run around naked screaming puma pride until i got arrested.

ililiilliillliii

• Bay Watcher
  • God bless you, astronaut cat
    • View Profile
Re: Firesleep Smoke Breathing Crab of Death
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 09:07:16 pm »

how about a screenshot? 

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 09:16:24 pm »

This is why I have worked out "emergency containment" procedures for everything from flooding to beast attacks.

Basically they're just small, controlled cave-ins.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 09:36:27 pm »

I'm still new and this was the furthest i've ever gotten, i was just waiting to give tribute to become the capital the roads leading to my glorious fortress were laid in silver and gold.  No invading army stood a chance of getting in through tons of traps and 20 skilled killers just in case they did happen to get by the traps.  an additional 20 were stationed near the first cavern specifically for when i broke in and the beasts started coming out.  All my encounters with them in previous games resulted in their deaths.  All 40 fully decked out in adamantine armor and weapons.  Too bad i couldn't a, G (g is for gas mask btw.) and prevent such an unfortunate outcome.  I started diverting a waterfall into magma to keep getting adamantine, and the pressure dropped enough i guess for ol' crabby to swim up from the bottom and break in, about 4 levels up from my army of the caverns, so i just sent 1 squad, they got wiped out pretty quickly then i sent all of the military.  When it was all said and done out of 40 only 2 survived, and a novice axedwarf of course was the one to get the kill on ol crabby my experienced vets died early.  Now everyone in the entire fortress is "resting" most are dying from thrist or hunger.  A goblin invasion comes but they couldn't get through trapland.  Another crabby (2 beast crabs in a row, dang) got out this one didn't breathe anything and would of been taken care of quite easily, however children and babies aren't the best fighters.  Who hadn't died from hunger or thirst were now getting gobbled up by the second crabby.  I have maybe 2 or 3 mobile people who are going insane and bezerk, how you can go bezerk when you are resting is beyond me, but once he went nuts he sure found his way to the animal holding area and took care of business.  by slaughtering all of the animals before dying from thirst.  The only other mobile person a legendary miner decided it was time to go outside of the fortress to gather some bones or something from something the goblins had killed.  The goblins surely bored now were quite content to cut his arms off and eat his soul.  I now have 1 person rotting away in the hospital, which is only probably 10x10 and has 50 dead bodies in it.  The second crab goes outside to chase a kid and runs into the last line of defense of traps before my entrance and gets killed by all the weapon traps. 

Sooooooo I have one farmer starving and dying from thirst in the hospital surrounded by tons of dead.  3 kids have gone insane and just running around in circles and ran into the aforementioned animal death area and still going nuts begin to track blood from the animal kingdom of death all over the fortress.  Finally ol mcdonald kicks the bucket and my strength has been broken.  All thanks to a stupid crab who breathed aids of his mouth.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:02:10 pm »

So this monster crab has a sleep inducing, flesh incinerating smoke? One of the most awesome syndrome combination, The Elven black market would love that thing.
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Salabasama

• Bay Watcher
  • Cyber-elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »

So I take it you're having fun?
I keep thinking glacier fortress would be fun, but it always ends up as cave layer fortress.

Hoooooooar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 01:01:01 am »

yea he was a real evil crab thats for sure

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 10:11:47 am »

Yes, but as with all giant crabs, he could have easily been hit in his weak point for MASSIVE DAMAGE.  I remember reading that about some actual historic Japanese battles.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 11:33:19 am »

Sounds epic. When do I get an unspeakable horror to wipe all of my spoiled bastards out?

Yeah sure it seems awful now, but you will remember it fondly and now you have an awesome story to tell.

Glech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 11:52:56 am »

You are either very lucky or very unlucky to have a giant crab attack your base.

BTW, were you playing this while fighting the thing?