Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to change archer ammunition setting?  (Read 971 times)

Fatso666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to change archer ammunition setting?
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:20:38 pm »

Basically a bronze colossus showed up at some point and my archers refused to fire
Only after investigating did I find out that the massive horde of bolts I had were being used for training ¬_¬

So would anyone care to explain how the whole ammunition setting works? Because I had metal bolts with C next to them and wooden bolts with T next to them all this time.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to change archer ammunition setting?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:33:35 pm »

I think that it's slightly bugged. I had them wasting steel bolts in training when it specifically said combat only.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Fatso666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 02:53:29 pm »

Urgh it's annoying if that's true, since I'll no doubt end up in another situation where the ammo doesn't exist...

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 03:00:14 pm »

Yep, dorfs are being stupid with ammo currently. I just use iron bolts for combat and training since I'm drowning in hematite and it's always plentiful.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 03:39:54 pm »

I really cannot get them to train properly with archery ranges. Currently (.12) I have three dwarves cleaning themselves instead of picking up a damn bow.. In fact they have crossbows, but won't pick up bolts, but arrows.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 03:53:41 pm »

bolts in bins, and other items in bins aren't picked up by the military properly.

hell they might not even pull food from barrels for all I know.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 04:46:28 pm »

I just use metal bolt for siege, since you have all the time needed to go in the ammunition setting, put a new metal bolt for combat and have them fill their quiver, that is if you didn't put your entrance at the edge of the map!!!!  :o
Training bolts for ambush and theif is enough. You'll still loose couple of hundreds bolts per squad for each siege, so if you don't have ore don't use them.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 06:36:51 pm »

I just use metal bolt for siege, since you have all the time needed to go in the ammunition setting, put a new metal bolt for combat and have them fill their quiver, that is if you didn't put your entrance at the edge of the map!!!!  :o
Training bolts for ambush and theif is enough. You'll still loose couple of hundreds bolts per squad for each siege, so if you don't have ore don't use them.

That's a good idea. So they'll collect the bolts if you assign metals ones once the siege starts? Also when you say "have them fill their quiver," can you assign them to do that manually or something?