Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horn crossbows  (Read 487 times)

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horn crossbows
« on: July 31, 2010, 04:14:12 pm »

I've noticed in game that you can't build horn crossbows at the bowyers workshop. I think that you should though, as bows and crossbows have been made out of horn very often in real life so it would seem sensible to be able to do it in game. It'd only take like a minute to change. As another unrelated improvement, you should be able to engrave constructions.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horn crossbows
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 02:39:03 am »

Horn doesn't bend; it wasn't the bulk of the bow.
The other part goes against a principle of the fortress of dwarfs.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:17:12 am »

The cartlidge from a horn was used to make short bow wood stronger.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 07:26:30 am »

The Compound Bow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Composite_bow) was made to give horseback archers (most notably the Mongols) the ability to carry a shortbow that had the strength of a longbow (which was too large to properly fire from horseback).  It was made of sinew and horn and glue in different portions of the bow to take advantage of every component's different properties (the horn gave the bow rigidity)...

Compound Crossbows, however, are a modern invention (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossbow), and are not made of horn and sinew, but lightweight alloys and carbon fibers.

While it was possible to make a compound crossbow, keep in mind the only advantage of a compound bow was that it was not as long, not that it was necessarily stronger (it could only be stronger if the person weilding it would be strong enough to pull it).  A crossbow, meanwhile, was capable of having pulls so powerful that you literally needed a built-in winch to crank those back, and the length of the bow part was never much of a problem.

More to the point, though, the major drawback of a classical compound construction, using melted animal horn as glue, was that the glue would start to dissolve in moist areas... like, say, caves.  They were wonderful weapons for horseback riders who mastered the dry steppes and invaded the deserts of Arabia, but they fell apart in your hands in wetter climates.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare