Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Gather clothes from outside?  (Read 932 times)

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gather clothes from outside?
« on: August 01, 2010, 12:59:31 am »

Hi there,

"unfortunately" the last caravan was ambushed and the gobblins decided to donate their goods to my dwarves. I reclaimed the stuff and my dwarves started to bring everything in, except the clothes. There are some shoes, socks, trousers and more left and nobody seems to care. I reclaimed them (again), build a pile for clothes and finished goods nearby, still my dwarves refuse to fetch that stuff.
Why? I wanted to sell these items to the next caravan...

Thanks for advice.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gather clothes from outside?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 04:54:08 am »

Clothes are weird. Make sure your stockpile is both a finished goods pile AND an armour pile. Filter out what you don't need by materials if possible. Then hopefully they'll get gathered.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 08:03:21 am »

Thanks for the advice, but it did not work. There are still some shoes, t-shirts and trousers outside.

Edit: Just noticed that this stuff is owned by some dwarves. Obviously they claimed these clothes shorty after the traders left it and now they don't move it inside. Don't dwarves store their belongings in some boxes? And how do I force them to fetch their stuff?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:07:09 am by Darkwhite »

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:13:48 am »

I think Store Owned Items is a pretty low priority job for dwarfs so that might be the problem if they are busy doing other tasks, they will also store the items in their rooms and you might need a cabinet for them to put the items in.  Sometimes they just dump their clothes on the ground of their rooms though.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:32:29 am »

I see. Some of them are currently on idle, but not every dwarf has a cabinet yet. So I know what to do.
Thanks!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 11:49:22 am »

Spacious rooms solve that for me, but cabinets are meant to be the default answer yes. Mind you, my dwarves store owned food items in their rooms without eating them. Makes them get sick of miasma when the rot inevitably happens. Oh well, I chalk that up to dwarfiness.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »

They store food in their rooms?  :o Guess they are using the coffers/chests therefore?

By the way: Finally my dwarves started to gather their clothes from the outside and place their stuff into the cabinets. Hurray!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 04:36:37 pm »

No, the rooms are empty aside from rthe bed. They leave food on teh floor and watch it rot.

Darkwhite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 08:44:26 am »

You're having a funny bunch of dwaves there. Never seen a dwarf building his private food stockpile. Lucky me!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 08:54:46 am »

It may be because I forgot to tell training soldiers to not carry around backpacks of food. They claim any food they put in their backpack.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 10:48:58 am »

Owned items are a pain in the ass.  Even when I explicitly assign the owner a bedroom with a cabinet and coffer, a lot of time the dwarves will leave their crap lying around anyway.   It's worse when they leave it somewhere I want to build something.  Queue "cancels build: Item blocking site" messages.

They also generate annoying "cannot store owned item: Item Inaccessible" messages when I'm turtled up with a siege and the dwarf in question has decided he really really likes that pair of pig tail trousers out there on the battlefield.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:21:23 pm »

Owned items are a pain in the ass.  Even when I explicitly assign the owner a bedroom with a cabinet and coffer, a lot of time the dwarves will leave their crap lying around anyway.   It's worse when they leave it somewhere I want to build something.  Queue "cancels build: Item blocking site" messages.

Dwarven personalities are a big factor about this. Check that the offending dwarves aren't lazy, disorganized louts.

Otherwise their cabinetry may already be full. A cabinet only seems to hold about 5-6 objects, depending on what they are.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 05:37:33 pm »

Dwarves will move owned items out of build locations. But they are a little picky about it. I usually only see the "Cancels build:Item blocking site" because ONE BUILDER has moved an owned item out of his way, and into the space another is working. Seems they will only move owned items that were ALREADY on the spot when the start--- so anything new will screw up their work plan.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!