Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible to remove the sky?  (Read 1255 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Possible to remove the sky?
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:13:56 pm »

I realize that this would utterly annihilate adventurer mode, but it might be a neat feature for a memory hack:

With our current understanding of memory hacking, is it possible to make the whole site be underground with NO sky and NO light?

Thoughts on this being possible:  I guess you could run some memory-hacking utility after the site was loaded, and replace a whole lot of tiles, so you can pretend that the "above ground" is just like cavern #0.  Or maybe you could even do it as the site was loading--but I'm not sure if current technology allows this yet.

If you screw with the lack of light, can you grow cavern plants/trees on the "surface"?  Alternately, can you strip all the soil from the surface, converting it into rock layers?  Making the surface into a blasted wasteland where nothing can ever grow would be a fairly nice feature.

Could this work properly in conjunction with streams/rivers, or would it explode somehow?

Maybe some people have experience with this:  How would traders or wild animals react to having a site border *completely* walled off (on the surface at least)?  I wonder if it would be possible to wedge the dwarves into a very small dome of air in the middle of an expanse of solid stone, and force them to dig their way to the edges if they want traders.

Barring all these options, is it possible to force the dwarves to start in a cavern instead of on the surface?  Can traders and invasions come in through the caverns?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Uthric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to remove the sky?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »

Barring all these options, is it possible to force the dwarves to start in a cavern instead of on the surface?  Can traders and invasions come in through the caverns?

i think traders will use tunnels now if there on your map when you embark, the world gen kind

from what i can tell invasions only come above ground

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 02:35:09 pm »

You can set the "z-levels above ground" when you generate a world to 1. That's still 1 above the highest point of your map, though, and there's nothing you can do about the light.

As for making the land into a blasted, rocky wasteland, we already have those. They're called rocky wastelands. They have soil but you can't grow anything there.

You can't really do any better than that, though. Maybe if you shoved everyone underground and then flooded the surface with magma to discourage people from going outside.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 04:19:33 pm »

...Alternately, can you strip all the soil from the surface, converting it into rock layers?  Making the surface into a blasted wasteland where nothing can ever grow would be a fairly nice feature...

I suppose that you could remove the file "inorganic_stone_soil" from the raws (as well as deleting any custom soils from modded raw files). That would theoretically remove all soils from the game; However, I think that it could also potentially cause a crash during worldgen as, IIRC, the program automatically attempts to place a certain number of soil levels at the top of all non-mountainous biomes.

(Come to think of it, what if you et up your worldgen parameters to create an entirely mountainous world? That might do it (although you wouldn't get any non-dwarven civilizations unless you modded their entity files))
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 05:01:56 pm »

Firstly, I've heard accounts of people who removed all the soil tags. The game didn't like that.

Secondly, if you make an all-mountain world you won't be able to embark anywhere. Even if you use a utility to embark on mountains, I think that dwarven civs and whatnot always exist on the EDGE of mountain biomes, which might be tricky if entire world is mountains.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.