Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A way to prevent ambushes  (Read 889 times)

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A way to prevent ambushes
« on: July 30, 2010, 12:32:25 pm »

I understand why ambushes are in the game, and they do add to the game play early in the game. But when you get entire sieges that also happen to be ninja's it gets a bit old. It would be nice if there were a way to spot them from a distance, or if a certain amount of enemies were expected, they wouldn't come in ambush format.
If the little bastards want spy glasses just so they can see an army marching up the barren mountain side to their guard towers made entirely of windows, that's fine with me. I just want to be able to plan for 50 goblins, rather than learn all at once just how much trouble I'm in.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A way to prevent ambushes
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 12:36:44 pm »

To my understanding you spot ambushes simply by having a dwarf see them. In other words, stop complaining and make guard posts. Even chaining watch dogs further away from your entrance should work.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 01:07:07 pm »

I always make 'puppy forts' like so:

Code: [Select]
. . . . w . . . .
. . . w ^ w . . .
. . w w ^ w w . .
. w ^ ^ d ^ ^ w .
. . w w ^ w w . .
. . . w ^ w . . .
. . . . w . . . .

^ = weapon trap(try to use bronze weapons at least, iron less effective)
w = wall
d = puppy on a chain

The puppy is protected from ranged attacks and when the goblin path to him, they usually end up leaving the map afterwords. Sometimes the puppy even survives.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

OcelotTango

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 03:12:25 pm »

That does totally work, but it still does not make any sense that a dwarf cant an army of goblins that are standing in plain sight.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 03:48:44 pm »

There is a bigger problem ambushes cause a lot of lag. It might be a good idea to make an init option to stop hidden units.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 03:52:02 pm »

There is a bigger problem ambushes cause a lot of lag. It might be a good idea to make an init option to stop hidden units.

You could simply raw-edit out ambushing entirely.  There's only three races that do it, after all, so it's hardly more work than an init change.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 04:36:58 pm »

Puppy? PUPPY? PUPPY?!?!? cephalo, you cruel monster! Wasting good puppies like that! You should use male kittens or cats instead. Puppies grow up to be war dogs and hunting dogs. Very useful creatures. Or dinner. Much more meat on them than cats. Cats are really only good for skulls and kitten leather gloves...
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 05:05:40 pm »

Puppy? PUPPY? PUPPY?!?!? cephalo, you cruel monster! Wasting good puppies like that! You should use male kittens or cats instead. Puppies grow up to be war dogs and hunting dogs. Very useful creatures. Or dinner. Much more meat on them than cats. Cats are really only good for skulls and kitten leather gloves...

This game has hardened me. I no longer have feelings.

My latest forts:

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 06:06:55 pm »

You can use dwarves as your early warning system. Create a burrow that covers the entire surface. Assign dwarves you don't like to that burrow. They will helpfully detect any ambushes for you! :D

If you're feeling generous you can give them armor, weapons, and military training so they can play soldier. Get enough of them defending the surface burrow (like, 30-40 dwarves up there at all times) and ambushes or sieges will be mopped up easily.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 11:36:37 am »

You can use dwarves as your early warning system. Create a burrow that covers the entire surface. Assign dwarves you don't like to that burrow. They will helpfully detect any ambushes for you! :D

If you're feeling generous you can give them armor, weapons, and military training so they can play soldier. Get enough of them defending the surface burrow (like, 30-40 dwarves up there at all times) and ambushes or sieges will be mopped up easily.

Will this cause them to actually chase distant enemies?

My latest forts:

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 12:46:35 pm »

Yes, that is how defend burrow works. If there is anything hostile within the burrow, be it a wild troll, goblins, kobolds, or Urist McBerserk, the on duty dwarves will rush over there to start stabbing things.

There is no limit to how large you can make a burrow. You can make a single gigantic burrow that covers the entire map, assign a large number of soldiers to the burrow, and your dwarves will automatically defend your entire fortress from all threats.

The larger the burrow the more dwarves you need to cover all of that ground of course, since when there is no threat they will randomly wander around the burrow.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 05:48:22 am »

One problem with ambushes is that dwarves don't reliably run inside after activating an alert.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 10:32:18 am »

You probably don't want your civilians hanging out around the edge of the map to begin with.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 11:41:41 am »

I just mass produce ropes, and put a puppy/kitten every 20 squares or so all the way along all the edges, and surround them by cage traps, that way wildlife gets caught, and all ambushes get spotted (course you need alot of animals, but after 1-2 years if you took enough females at the start, you probbly have enough.)
Nom nom nom