Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfen Stasis pods  (Read 1467 times)

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
Dwarfen Stasis pods
« on: July 31, 2010, 06:16:14 am »

So I upgraded to verision .12 but forgot set population cap.

So now my population jumped fro 30+ to 70+ and my computer is slowly dying...

I was thinking; I read somewhere that if a dwarf where to faint on a trap he would be caged?

My question is; do he need to be taken care of inside the cage or is rendered in stasis, forever fainted with no needs?

Because I have been thinking about caging my unnecessary dwarfs until I need them. It would also be good way to upgrade to a mountainhome without having the huge fps load that comes with increased population.

I could also then completely wall them in and have them act as emergency backup if my fortress inhabitants where to be killed of for some reason.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

cyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfen Stasis pods
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 06:52:57 am »

You will need to feed them; there is no stasis effect for dwarfs.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 06:55:13 am »

Alright, but does caged dwarfs still pat? It could be effective to just cage them and let a dwarf take care of them. I really need to find a way to leverage that fps.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 07:39:58 am »

caged dwarfs don't path. If you want less fps problems you could just put your dwarfs in with a small farm and some water and let them live inside there. This causes little pathing.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 07:47:43 am »

great idea! hmm, perhaps it would better just take my changes and straigth out murder them?  :-\

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 08:17:15 am »

Murder is a quick and easy way to solve problems with little to no consequence.

At least in dwarf fortress.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 08:53:50 am »

Murder is a quick and easy way to solve problems with little to no consequence.

At least in dwarf fortress.
I have found my first sig quote.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 11:02:16 am »

I have a simple solution: Medical Experimentation.

This was suggested in the Complete Newbie guide but what you do is build a "drop room": a pit about 3 to 4 floors deep with a bridge linked up with a lever in either your hospital or an area where the lazy, free-loading bastards dwarfs hang out.  Assign your useless dwarves to a military squad, station them on the bridge above your pit, pull lever, and get ready to train up your doctors! 8D

Also, if you've found a cavern, have your newly made suicide squad go hunt down some of your new neighbors and underground wildlife for you. Who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky and end up with a truly badass dwarven warrior...or some really FUN events for your engravers to record upon the walls of your fort.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 11:25:45 am »

There is a way to put dwarves in stasis, but not through cages.  As pointed out dwarves in cages still get thirsty and hungry, and can eventually go insane from bad thoughts from being confined.

The way to put a dwarf in actual stasis is to exploit the bug which causes creatures to sometimes become permanently stuck in midair.  This bug was present in 40d and I am fairly certain it is still present in DF2010.  What you need to do is build a room with one exit via a door and a floor with no holes.  Build a retracting (not raising) bridge which covers the entire room.  Build a lever outside the room, and then link that room to the bridge.

Station the dwarves you want to put in stasis inside the room, and then lock the door.  Have another dwarf pull the lever repeatedly.  Now, while the dwarves inside the room are being buffeted around by the retracting bridge, save and load the game repeatedly. The stuck in midair bug happens when you save the game when a creature is airborne, but only happens occasionally.  You may have to save and reload repeatedly before all the dwarves are stuck.

As far as I have been able to tell, dwarves stuck airborne really are in stasis, immune from hunger, thirst, tiredness, insanity, incapable of being attacked, unable to drown, and apparently even unaffected by age.  I have not done tests with large number of dwarves stuck in midair for long periods of time, so it's possible that there are long term side-effects.  The only way to get them unstuck is to use a hacking tool to edit the memory and turn off the 'projectile' tag on each stuck creature.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 05:14:11 pm »

The healthcare system is still pretty buggy, so the medical experimentation method may run into a few hitches along the way. Crutches aren't handled properly, plaster powder is not stocked in the hospital, and doctors don't know how to fill a bucket when they need water for the plaster, so you need to somehow obtain pre-filled buckets of water if you want your dwarves' bones to heal.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.