Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No migrants?  (Read 460 times)

Hour Hero Yes

• Bay Watcher
  • when you stop to read, you have to leave a rock
    • View Profile
    • space ghetto
No migrants?
« on: August 11, 2010, 12:28:10 pm »

I'm having a problem with a slowly dwindling number of dwarves.  They slopped around and were too lazy to get all the goods/trade with TWO caravans in a row so I wasn't able to export any of the ridiculous amount of stonecrafts I have.  Add a few goblin ambushes and some failed flood-trap experimenting and my numbers are shrinking at an alarming rate. The problem?

Ten seasons have gone by with "Your fortress failed to attract any dwarves this season."

Is this because I haven't shown the world, through the caravan, that we are a thriving fortress?  Is something messed up in the init files?  I need more dwarves!

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No migrants?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 01:01:10 pm »

The first few waves are generated based on the amount of wealth you produce, the rest seem to be generated relative to the amount of wealth you exported recently. So, yeah, you need to sell some of your goods. Put a stockpile for your trade goods right next to the trade depot so it will be a shorter trip for your haulers, and temporarily disable other labors on your broker when the caravan shows up.
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Erf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 06:48:01 pm »

The first few waves are generated based on the amount of wealth you produce

How can I reduce the amount of wealth I produce at the beginning then?

I keep running into a problem of receiving a ton of immigrants at first, and I can't get enough food to feed everyone, and my fort starves to death fairly quickly.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 06:52:44 pm »

build an immigrant kill trap.  Or lower your population cap in the init file.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Erf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 07:55:09 pm »

Can children still be born when a population cap is reached?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:01:08 pm »

Yes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.