Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Determining Civilization Existence?  (Read 1475 times)

nwr1_cronus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Determining Civilization Existence?
« on: July 31, 2010, 11:51:32 am »

My past two forts (which have been fantastic, btw) have been abandoned due to lack of immigrants past the first year, which is caused by being part of an extinct civilization. 

My question is this: what is the best way to go about figuring out if a civ is extinct pre-embark? I can tell after founding a fortress by going to the civ screen and seeing "this civilization has no notable rulers," but so far the legends viewer has been inconclusive.

I thank you in advance for your help.  I've been playing this game off and on since before the wiki was around (imagine that learning curve), and have learned to value the community above all.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
Re: Determining Civilization Existence?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 11:56:34 am »

Currently that is not yet added. maybe a utility is required. Actually, it makes it fun to survive with children dwarfs. I mean, born kids that were born in your fort. Make the civ survive.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 12:07:27 pm »

Before you start playing in Dwarf Fortress mode, go into Legends mode.  Go into Historical Maps and go to the last year in the world history.  You can see there what civilizations exist in the world and where they are.  You can take note of the names of existing civilizations, and then go to the "Civilizations and other entities" screen to make sure what kind of civilization they are and check that they are active throughout world history.  You can also press 'p' to export several world data files.  The world_history file gives you detailed information on every civilization, and the world_sites_and_pops will let you check which sites still have populations of dwarves.  You may have to do some double-checking on your own between these screens and files to make sure there is a dwarven civilization with active sites that have surviving populations of dwarves, and a living king or queen and other important leaders.

ETA:  An easier method is to start a game in 'Adventurer' mode.  If your world has any viable dwarven civilizations, you'll see "Dwarf from (name)" as an option when creating your character. If it doesn't, you won't see that option.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 12:29:13 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:25:13 pm »

You can also normally see if a civ has made it from the embark selection screen, by seeing if the symbol for a dwarf fortress shows up on the map or not. If it doesnt, then its pretty likely that the civ is dead.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

nwr1_cronus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 12:28:36 pm »

That was pretty quick; thanks for the help everyone.

P.S.- Am I one of the only people to appreciate the reappearance of irrigation?  Maybe the nostalgia stems from the old 2d versions, but I'm really glad that it's back.

rhuntar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 12:38:00 pm »

I typically after world gen, ex(p)ort the world gen info and look through the world sites and populations txt file.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 12:59:17 pm »

World Viewer is your friend
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"