Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Training/Combat bolt?  (Read 1334 times)

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Training/Combat bolt?
« on: July 29, 2010, 03:17:47 am »

Hi there
I'm on a new fort (it run so fast now compared to my old fort) and my metal production is at his start. So i have this half squad of marksmen who train on archery targets, they are also hunters which doesn't seam to be a good idea at all.

Anyway them just shoot the bolts they have in their quivers, no matter how you set the amunition setting. Is it just me, is it working in your fort?
I ask this because my bolt production is at minimum, so maybe it come to that, and maybe i should put some effort in it, but then if they just shoot metal bolts on practice target, i better not produce a lot of bolts. Or maybe i need more quivers now that i think about this, any one have it working as it should?

otze3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Training/Combat bolt?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 03:44:58 am »

My marksmen use bone bolts for training and iron bolts for combat. In the ammunition screen I deleted the default entry for my squad and made two new ones, set one Material to bone, other to metal and assigned one for training other for combat.

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:53:24 am »

Personally, I find the ammunition assignment screen to be a bit confusing.  I prefer to assign wood or bone for practice and metal bolts for combat.  I found out, however, that I was setting it the other way around.  I had stopped production of metal bolts because I had plenty.  A little while later I discovered that the metal bolts had all disappeared.  The dwarves had been using them for training instead of the wood ones.  After switching the settings in the ammunition screen, they're using the wood bolts for practice.  Clear as mud that screen is.

Rkui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 05:42:10 pm »

I think when they swap the jobs, they just use what is in their quiver, maybe the bolts aren't set back after a job change? i don't know how i could understand it otherwise.
So if a soldier go off duty and go hunt he will hunt with the soldier bolts in his quiver until he use them all, then he will take "hunting" bolts. Same after an ambush, he will just empty his quiver filled with combat bolt on targets. I think thats what happening.

I just should come back to my old attitude, "metal bolts is a waste of metal". I'll keep a small stock of them in case, but thats it.