Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Transfering custom mods from version to version  (Read 363 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Transfering custom mods from version to version
« on: July 30, 2010, 04:00:26 pm »

I do lots of annoying things with mods. I love that there are new versions coming out and fixing bugs (they need fixing :) ).

I don't want to keep any of my previous saves, because they all bug killed/glitch screwed.

What is the most effective way to take all my little mods and transfer them over to 31.12 and presumably other versions as they come out until I get a save worth keeping.

I am basically afraid of copying over something important (ex. arsenal dwarf was removed. Don't want him back if it screws up game or perhaps at all).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Transfering custom mods from version to version
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 04:05:52 pm »

1) Try to put your mods which do not change existing contents into separate files.

2) Use WinMerge application to check between versions what was changed to see Toady's raw changes.

Both of these tips are all that you need to know IMHO.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Re: Transfering custom mods from version to version
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 04:07:03 pm »

It really depends what it is. Like for custom reactions, buildings, items, etc. I put them in their own file so I can just copy and paste the file into the new game directory. Like a back up.

For example...

reaction_shaostoul
building_shaostoul
item_shaostoul

that kinda dealio.

If it's creature mods, put them in their own file. If it's specific creature mods... like cheats... for example...

[SPEED:1]
   [NOEXERT]
   [NO_SLEEP]
   [NO_EAT]
   [NO_DRINK]
   [FLIER]

I have that in it's own text file, so I can just copy and paste the info into the dwarf entry when a new version comes out.

There is no super easy way.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!