Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Broken bone and no way to produce powder plaster  (Read 834 times)

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Broken bone and no way to produce powder plaster
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:49:13 am »

So I set up this fighting pit, where I would let caged naked goblins fight against my 4 berzerker dwarfs. Everybody laughed and had fun for a while.
Then I sadly uncaged a speargoblin, that was not stripped naked. Whops.
Got killed anyway quite fast, but managed to break the bone of the of my militia commander, which is now lying around in hospital, waiting for treatment.

What I need now, is plaster powder, right?
But I have no sedimentary layer around which could contain the materials needed!

So I guess he is screwed, right?

On a side note:
I have this other dwarf lying around in hospital, for 2 years now. Severe nerve damage, lost his ability to stand and whatnot, most of the time he is unconscious anyway.
But once, he had a mood and crafted a legendary bracelet! So he was crouching around my fort, to gather all the materials, craft that shit and then pass out again, only to lie in my hospital again. If he can do that, he can surely go and cut some trees, useless piece of meat!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Broken bone and no way to produce powder plaster
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 01:51:57 am »

A splint does the job, plaster is nice but not necessary.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Sarganto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 02:30:57 am »

I see, he received a splint and is running around quite happily again, cutting gems and stuff.

But he has an infection now and I did not set up soap production yet. Starting now, but will he make it? :(

And if he is running around, will he wash that infection off by himself, when I have soap ready or what has to be done?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 02:32:45 am »

Honestly, I think he might just have to bear the brunt of it. I have a miner in identical straits, I'll let you know how that turns out.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:30:01 am »

I've heard that infection can only be stopped before it sets in, by washing wounds properly before they are treated.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:40:29 am »

Plaster is best imported. Request it to the first dwarven trade liason you see.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:27:33 am »

Alright, my miner has fully healed himself, by about two seasons after the injury, and has removed the splints and bandages etc he had on. He had been infected, but that does not seem to have caused any complications. All in all, healthcare was a huge success!

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 07:52:25 am »

Wow, all my infecteds that I've noticed have died.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Avaline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:48:43 pm »

About the infections:

The solution to that is Soap.  Make sure you make some for your doctors, along with having buckets so they can gather water.

(making soap = Turn wood to ash at a wood burner, ash into lye at a ashery, then lye into soap at the soap maker's)

Two bug workarounds though: 

1. Actually making the soap requires using the Manager screen to set the job.  You can't use the command at the shop itself.

2. Make sure there's enough bags/coffers in the hospital so that ALL soap ends up in them.  If even ONE soap is sitting outside then dwarves will stop cleaning themselves normally, instead trying and failing to use the soap to wash with.  Soap inside the hospital doesn't face that problem.

madoxlabs

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 02:36:54 pm »

Why do they fail to use the soap, as you described. Is that a bug or a feature still in progress?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 04:12:07 pm »

It's a bug that's been around for some time now. There's just so many bugs it takes time.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 05:56:31 pm »

Two bug workarounds though: 

2. Make sure there's enough bags/coffers in the hospital so that ALL soap ends up in them.  If even ONE soap is sitting outside then dwarves will stop cleaning themselves normally, instead trying and failing to use the soap to wash with.  Soap inside the hospital doesn't face that problem.

Actually, you just need a well with water in it to stop the soap spam. I only start getting that cancel spam again once I have several dwarves all trying to use the same well at the same time. More wells make it go away.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 10:08:39 pm »

1. Actually making the soap requires using the Manager screen to set the job.  You can't use the command at the shop itself.

Wrong, you just need all the ingredients in the right form before it will let you place the order. That means you need a *barrel* of lye and a glob of tallow. Basically, think of like the smelter; you can't place orders when you have no coal or ore.