Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Goblin civ, goblin civ, doin' whatever a goblin civ does!  (Read 3148 times)

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin civ, goblin civ, doin' whatever a goblin civ does!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 07:55:17 pm »

You got the wrong impression, it's more like "In 850, Azog McQueen married Azog McKing."
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 08:19:02 pm »

Legends mode simple states events and not the exact and detailed happenings... (i.e. There was a duel between an elf and a dwarf, one retreated...for all we know it was probably the best show of swordmanship in the land, or they simply clashed blades once and called it a day) For most of it, we make our own stories :P

Anywho, I also vote for "Keep 'em alive and wait for something to happen"...it's a unique enough event that it might get more interesting right?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 08:21:33 pm »

Kobold Troubador's saying you have to invent your own story.

DF only has so much depth to its storytelling potential right now.  To make a great story, you have to fill in the blanks.  Cacame was just an elf who happened to have become part of the dwarf civ and happened to have his family killed and happened to become king.  The part about "he was crowned king for his eternal hatred of elves" was something that had to be added by the player, Holy Mittens.  Most of what made Cacame epic, like slaying the dragon in one blow, was handled by Holy Mittens setting up a duel between Cacame and the dragon.  The battle at the giant statue of Cacame was caused by a coincidence that Holy Mittens rewrote into a story.  All the things that really made Cacame a legend were caused by Holy Mittens purposefully sculpting the story around Cacame to make him a legend.

Basically, if you want a great story that doesn't just rely upon an improbable number from worldgen, you have to treat what you get out of worldgen as something like an improv routine with a starting setting that you then have to force to make sense with your own narrative.  If what you have is too boring for you, MAKE it interesting.

I mean, why bother posting about having a goblin queen if you aren't going to even try to make a story to go with it?  You can't just expect a great storyline to be handed to you on a silver platter.

psuedo edit: pfft ninja'd.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Double A

• Bay Watcher
  • GWARRRRR
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 11:42:18 pm »

Kobold Troubador's saying you have to invent your own story.

DF only has so much depth to its storytelling potential right now.  To make a great story, you have to fill in the blanks.  Cacame was just an elf who happened to have become part of the dwarf civ and happened to have his family killed and happened to become king.  The part about "he was crowned king for his eternal hatred of elves" was something that had to be added by the player, Holy Mittens.  Most of what made Cacame epic, like slaying the dragon in one blow, was handled by Holy Mittens setting up a duel between Cacame and the dragon.  The battle at the giant statue of Cacame was caused by a coincidence that Holy Mittens rewrote into a story.  All the things that really made Cacame a legend were caused by Holy Mittens purposefully sculpting the story around Cacame to make him a legend.

Basically, if you want a great story that doesn't just rely upon an improbable number from worldgen, you have to treat what you get out of worldgen as something like an improv routine with a starting setting that you then have to force to make sense with your own narrative.  If what you have is too boring for you, MAKE it interesting.

I mean, why bother posting about having a goblin queen if you aren't going to even try to make a story to go with it?  You can't just expect a great storyline to be handed to you on a silver platter.

psuedo edit: pfft ninja'd.

Well first of all, I know most of the Cacame stuff isn't true, but I actually thought he fought and killed a dragon in Legends (and not cause of the player).

Secondly, I was confused as to how the gobbo became a queen in the first place.

However, if you want a story, I can probably do one... but not at the moment, I started a succession game on Total War Center (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=375939) and I'm in the middle of summer.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 11:44:01 pm by Double A »
Please, take a moment of silence for all the venerable old threads rendered unintelligible by the Great Photobucket Dickification of 2017. So much was lost.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2010, 01:09:08 am »

Are you all crazy? it a military noble! those are rare, and unless the ability to control military nobles like military is no longer in the game you have the "potential" of badass the likes of which has never been seen.

Goblins are capable fighters to stand a chance against dwarves, plus they wont die of old age, this means you have forever to power her up and make her a God King of the universe!

For epic military nobles, I had one in Kobold Kamp that was a shooter (bow) it showed up, and I couldnt mach its needs having only dug in the dirt, but he was fine with it and spent most of his time chattering with the other bolds and then going out with the main force on patrols, I didnt push him to be bad ass, but he killed 1 of 4 elves from the first ambush, not the savior of the Kamp but he was right there in the thick of it.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2010, 04:38:00 pm »

I'd hang onto them out of principle. :D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:31 pm »

WARRIOR QUEEN GO!

Is that actually possible in the new versions? I think it is.
Get a steel or adamantine longsword or something, and give her chainmail. Warrior queen.
Pages: 1 [2]