Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: urgent DOWNLOAD PAGE changes  (Read 613 times)

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
urgent DOWNLOAD PAGE changes
« on: August 21, 2010, 01:54:55 pm »

The white font on the black background on the dev blog section of the download page is quickly getting annoying and is a real pain in the eyes. It rapidly get's harder to read the text EACH second because of the great contrast of the white font and black background (and the colorful background isn't helping much, either). I suggest you change the color scheme to something that is easier to read (I do hope it is only one CSS line) and save us all from sure blindness, PLEASE.

Best regards,
vooood
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: urgent DOWNLOAD PAGE changes
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 02:06:44 pm »

Yeah, white on black text isn't the best. If you need to, use greasemonkey (for FF and IE) to change the CSS. I haven't needed it yet, but I probably will soon.

In case you need some better colours, I would suggest light green on dark green. Also, you should probably delete the background, it gets bland after you go there too many times.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »

Uh, what?
First of all, that is maroon, not black, and second, white text on black background is NOT going to cause you to go blind.
Black text on white background is INFINITELY worse, and that's the color scheme on 80% of the internet.
If this is hurting your eyes, you either have ultra-sensitive eyes (which would mean you should be turning your monitor's contrast down anyway) or your monitor is configured wrong.

I suppose it could cause eye irritation, but most definitely not any actual damage.
At least, not any more than anything else on the internet.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 02:10:35 pm by jaybud4 »
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 02:18:52 pm »

White text on black background is actually much easier on the eyes.  Especially if you do like I do and crank up the zoom. 

Using Opera, I can hit the "Author Mode"/"User Mode" button that can eliminate the background images, and change the color of text and background.  I actually prefer to use this to turn the background black and the text white plus crank up the zoom to 150% or 200% for any long text I'm going to read, as it ensures my eyes will be comfortable even with leaning back and reading for hours on end.  (White background strains the eyes far more than black background, and high contrast is better for the eyes to pick out the words with less need to focus, as is, obviously, the zoom function.)

Also, you might want to mess with the refresh rate of your monitor (about 75 hz is generally better for the eyes), and possibly turn up the brightness and down the contrast and/or saturation.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:24:56 pm »

Uh, what?
First of all, that is maroon, not black, and second, white text on black background is NOT going to cause you to go blind.
Black text on white background is INFINITELY worse, and that's the color scheme on 80% of the internet.
If this is hurting your eyes, you either have ultra-sensitive eyes (which would mean you should be turning your monitor's contrast down anyway) or your monitor is configured wrong.

I suppose it could cause eye irritation, but most definitely not any actual damage.
At least, not any more than anything else on the internet.
Yes, it is maroon, but that is preety much dark black.

Also, black on white is not INFINITELY worse. It is worse, but not that much. And no popular internet site I know of is truly black on white. Human eyes prefer greenish turquoise colours, sometimes even brownish yellow ones. All that centers on the greenish hues. The reason for this is the fact that our world is green, so we like green. Our world is very rarely black/white, so those colours tend to irritate eyes and freak us out (black+white pictures are much more unnatural than colour pictures for a reason). All that is quite minor, until you factor in the DF world maps in the background. Your eyes, while focusing on the white on black text, are seeing all that colour with the most colour-sensitive part. On higher resolutions, like mine and likely his, it starts irritating eyes.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »

I always deal with white text on black backgrounds. So its actually fine for me. I think your eyes just aren't adjusted right.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 08:15:01 pm »

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=faq

Think about it: your monitor is not a piece of paper, no matter how hard you try to make it one. Staring at a white background while you read is like staring at a light bulb (don't believe me? Try turning off the lights next time you use a word processor). Would you stare at a light bulb for hours at a time? Not if you want to keep your vision.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"