Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My obsidian swords... arn't. Also I need some help with training.  (Read 1447 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So yeah, two things.

1. I have an obsidian layer, and I designated the entire thing for digging, and set 2 of my 4 miners to dig that exclusively. I also have 4 previously unskilled workers working at 4 workshops to produce the swords. The problem is they keep coming out as [wood type] short swords. I know that an obsidian sword takes 1 obsidian and 1 wood, but shouldn't it come out as obsidian? Alternatively, is it really made of obsidian, but it messes up the name? Or am I wasting my time making wooden swords.

2. Where do I go to learn about military training? The wiki is confusing.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My obsidian swords... arn't. Also I need some help with training.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 01:33:39 pm »

Rock swords are bugged right now. Not that obsidian swords would be as good anymore though.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:44:23 pm »

:'(
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »

Well it was normal for obsidian swords to require wood, because they were in effect wooden clubs with a stone blade attached on the outside.  The bug that exists lists them as wood, but if MagmaWiki is to be trusted, I think they still function as obsidian swords (which in older versions were pretty deadly)?  Is that right?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 02:55:43 pm »

It's possible that they're actually being created as plain wooden swords due to the same bug that makes coke/pearlash vials instead of green/clear glass vials.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 03:14:02 pm »

I don't know how strong obsidian swords are supposed to be, but they don't seem noticeably better than ordinary wooden swords, as far as I can tell.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 03:28:26 pm »

Hmm, interesting. Obsidian doesn't seem to have an entry in most of the stress values combat calculations are based on. Obsidian does, however, have a Max_Edge defined, and it's 20000 (most metals: 10000. Adamantine: 100000 which doesn't even make sense considering how absurdly sharp obsidian blades can get in real life).

Maybe you end up with a wooden sword that has a very sharp edge; it may make sense to test whether it has unusual properties. For example, I wouldn't be surprised if outperformed steel against naked flesh but became hopeless against any form of armour.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 04:20:45 pm »

That's pretty much how it works. Rock swords display as wood, but take their name from the log used rather than the stone. They're good for hunting or in an arena, because neither animals or prisoners are usually armoured, but they do poorly against metal armor. Which is as it should be.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 04:22:08 pm »

The bug causes swords to use the wood material instead of the obsidian once. They have no material values of obsidian whatsoever.

Also stone is significantely stronger then wood, not only due to the increased max_edge but also the material template it uses (edge is just one of the many values used in combat calculation). The stone template has better material properties then the wood one.

Basicaly what you are producing is elf swords. You can use them in traps to stab the hippies with, but I realy wouldnt give them to your soldiers unless you just dont like your soldiers.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 06:04:28 pm »

So...it's bugged and useless. For shame! >:O
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 07:46:26 pm »

Now that I think about it, someone could probably create a mod that actually allows rock swords to be created.

It could be promoted as a temporary bug fix until Toady addresses the problem.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 03:19:31 am »

Thanks for the clarification, Grimlocke. I had a look through the templates, and the stone one looks quite unattractive for edged weapons with its very low shear strength (much worse than wood); I'm not sure whether other factors such as density would offset this.

I'm very curious about the performance of obsidian weapons if they were actually implemented, being very fragile but twice as sharp as ordinary metal. How would we implement a quick fix?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 07:33:03 am »

Mod it to make bolts :D