Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cave-in's, Giant Floodgates, and SMR (Minor Spoilers.)  (Read 773 times)

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cave-in's, Giant Floodgates, and SMR (Minor Spoilers.)
« on: July 30, 2010, 03:39:00 pm »

So I'm finally ready on my current map to start playing with some Adamantine, but there's a problem with that plan; the topmost part is still in the magma ocean, and at most I'd be able to get 4 units per level, assuming I don't hit HFS first. It would be much safer to mine the outer edges, but being surrounded with magma makes this impossible, at the moment.

Too stubborn Dwarvenly to give up, I came up a plan to gain access to the submerged pillar; Drop gigantic walls of stone into key positions around the pillar, and then pump the isolated magma region out. Sounded like it would work. So I picked the first point to be cut off, a roughly 10 unit long section that needed to be 3 z levels high to reach from the Semi-Molten Rock to the top of the magma ocean. After cutting out this shape directly above, killing 3 FB's that I let accumulate in the cavern, and drop it in, there was plenty of dust and magma mist (It looked tasty.), but the giant floodgate had disappeared.

Then I realized that items weren't the only things to disappear when dropped on SMR. Angrily, I start over, this time building grooves into the side of the piece, so that at the same time the wall reached the bottom of the magma ocean the teeth/grooves will not be able to fall down anymore, giving the wall a max falling distance. Fricken clever, I thought. After I screw up once, I get the giant piece of solid rock correct and drop it in. Despite sacrificing a crippled engineer, it still failed, the teeth designed to catch on a ledge having done so, but the rest of the wall continued on it's way down into SMR.

Anyone else have any good ways of draining sections of the Magma Ocean? I'm going to try doing it stepwise this time, by casting obsidian one level at a time, pumping out the magma bubble I isolate, and repeat.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Cave-in's, Giant Floodgates, and SMR (Minor Spoilers.)
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 04:01:03 pm »

I'm unaware of any ways to do so, every wall or floor tile touching SMR, except those naturally adjacent to it, is automatically destroyed, and obsidian casting is gonna be unbelievably difficult since you have to drop the water on top, hoping it doesn't boil off, and then make sure your wall has SOME connection to a natural, non-SMR wall. I've never tried to mine out a significant quantity of adamantine, maybe one or two layers of a small pipe, but I took my luck in stride and stopped after that, never tried getting any of it past the magma sea, or even the layer directly above it (as a mining operation, at least.) You'll have to make a large area to drain out, and of course have a drain, because for each subsequent level you'll have to reduce the x and y dimensions by 1, and start on a nearby point of rock on the highest level of the pillar open to the magma sea.

keep us posted.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 04:08:45 pm »

Ah, when you have all these neat pumps and cave-in methods, you sometimes forget the obvious solution: Bucket of water.

You can quite simply channel around the adamantine pipe and start pouring water to make an obsidian casing. Of course, it's not quite that simple.

First of all, you'll be making a reverse pyramid (like) structure to reach the bottom. Also in the case the magma sea fills itself in the same manner as volcanoes, you should (after the first level) first dump the water and then channel out the floor beneath the puddle or you'll risk having to start over.

E: To visualize...
Code: [Select]
#####AAA#####
~~~~~AAA~~~~~
~~~~~AAA~~~~~
~~~~~AAA~~~~~
MMMMMAAAMMMMM

>

##   AAA   ##
~~~~~AAA~~~~~
~~~~~AAA~~~~~
~~~~~AAA~~~~~
MMMMMAAAMMMMM

>

##   AAA   ##
~~OOOAAAOOO~~
~~~~~AAA~~~~~
~~~~~AAA~~~~~
MMMMMMMMMMMMM

>

##   AAA   ##
~~O  AAA  O~~
~~~OOAAAOO~~~
~~~~~AAA~~~~~
MMMMMAAAMMMMM

>

##   AAA   ##
~~O  AAA  O~~
~~~O AAA O~~~
~~~~OAAAO~~~~
MMMMMAAAMMMMM
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 04:20:44 pm by Cotes »
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 05:10:22 pm »

Unfortunately, when you pour water into the magma ocean, the subsequent obsidian wants to sink directly down, even if it's formed adjacent to a wall.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »

Why not drain the magma sea by pumping it into it's own edges? It works with the ocean, maybe it can work with the sea.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 06:57:19 pm »

Starting to look like the best option, I was just hoping for a much more localized solution instead of the entire map!  :P

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 07:37:07 pm »

Theoretically it could be somewhat localized, but where's the fun in that?
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!