Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Rain water Collection System  (Read 3089 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Rain water Collection System
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:05:35 pm »

Im sure some one has already done this..but incase no one has i wanted to share this idea,

Basicly i emarked on a forested region with many tiny lakes, and no running water.. so water is pretty limited for obsidian farming and such..

But, as we all know, murkey pools (the little lakes) refill with rainwater, So my plan is to link all the little lakes to a large underground basin.  To ensure there will be enough water for it to actually flow down, ill put floodgates right were the tunnel comes to channel the water from all the pools, so once they all fill up, you pull the lever,all the pools drain to a common source, and you get a three zlayer thick pool of water!

"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Rain water Collection System
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:06 pm »

Here's mine from Bustnut:

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-8071
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:39:26 pm »

To push this to the max (which, as a player of DF, I know you desire), you need to surround all pools with pumps to evacuate even the 1/7 water. Then, to move along the channels to the resivour: more pumps! It means no losses to evaporation.

As a bonus, more water means more perpetual motion to power the whole thing.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 02:27:02 pm »

If you're in a biome that freezes see if you can leave 2/7 water in the pools. When the water freezes it will create full tiles of ice which will melt into 7/7 water come spring. Could be useful if rains are infrequent.

In fact, I imagine you could make a water-generator that way with an artificial pond.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 04:34:29 pm »

Just dig down into a cavern. You're pretty much guaranteed access to underground lakes. They will almost certainly connect to the edge of the map, allowing for unlimited water.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 05:38:45 pm »

artificial pond.

Unfortunately, only the naturally-occuring muddy pond tiles generate water when it starts to rain. Dwarf-made enclosures will not collect rainwater :(
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 05:55:39 pm »

Unfortunately, only the naturally-occuring muddy pond tiles generate water when it starts to rain. Dwarf-made enclosures will not collect rainwater :(

In 40d, if they (above-ground pits) were filled with water on embark, they will generate water during rain. Reclaiming counts as embarking, as well. Buckets, anyone?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:14:50 pm »

Your cubicle-style lodgings depress me ...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 12:29:54 am »

The artificial pond I was suggesting wasn't for collecting rainwater, it was for generating water from the freeze/thaw cycle. When a tile with less than 7/7 water freezes, it produces a tile filled with ice. When that ice melts it melts into 7/7 water depth. So by partly filling an artificial pond with water, letting it freeze and thaw, and then removing part of the resulting water, you can generate water from nothing. You need to start with some water to get things going, though.

Consider it a form of "water farming", similar to how one can "farm" obsidian from magma.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 01:38:03 pm »

The artificial pond I was suggesting wasn't for collecting rainwater, it was for generating water from the freeze/thaw cycle. When a tile with less than 7/7 water freezes, it produces a tile filled with ice. When that ice melts it melts into 7/7 water depth. So by partly filling an artificial pond with water, letting it freeze and thaw, and then removing part of the resulting water, you can generate water from nothing. You need to start with some water to get things going, though.

Consider it a form of "water farming", similar to how one can "farm" obsidian from magma.
HERETIC! everyone knows it's Moisture Farming! Just ask Urist McSkywalker
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 02:20:30 pm »

Moisture-farming muddy pools works fine.  I farm mine regularly in the region I've embarked.  There's a brook up in the top corner of the map but I didn't feel like channeling all the way to it, so I breached a muddy pool that's about 8x10 or so.  My region gets a lot of rain and I can leave the floodgate open permanently without the pool ever completely draining while it's raining.  As it is I filled up a 2-z layer reservoir about 15x15 that's 7/7 on both levels in a season, even with a ~20-30 tile long pipeline from the muddy pool to where I have my well.

In fact I didn't expect to have it refill so fast and initially just broke through the wall to flood my farming area.  When it started raining and the water didn't stop, I had to get my miners digging the farming area bigger and bigger until I could drain enough water to make it shallow enough to build a wall to block the hole.  I wound up flooding at least 20x20 tiles before I could plug it.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 02:37:30 pm »

Your cubicle-style lodgings depress me ...

Hehehe, this is one of my oldest forts. I still like these bedrooms as they are entirely furnished from green glass (except the bed and the window). If I could start from scratch at year 1 on this fortress in a modern version I'd be so happy. Such an excellent map, even with the water evaporation issues.
quib·ble

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2010, 05:33:48 pm »

I have done this in a .01 fort, which also saw my first mini-megaconstruction.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 05:54:55 pm »

I once created a sewer system to ensure that anyone who fell into a pond would be able to escape to safety. To do this I dug out a maze of sewers underground in the stone. Up/down stairs went from the sewers to breach the pond wall allowing both water to drain and dwarves to escape into the sewers.

Unfortunately the sewer system had...issues.

1) My fortress was in a swamp. Dug deep underground, but the surface was a swamp.
2) Due to my OCD I had about 80 dwarves hauling away stone from the recently dug and engraved sewer.
3) It began to rain.

Urist McDwarf has drowned!