Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My robots are not working.  (Read 1100 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
My robots are not working.
« on: July 28, 2010, 08:21:57 am »

I am making a mod (You can expect it soon) where the world is in a future dark age and there are many threats like mutants robots and stuff. But I cant make the robots work tho. I LITERALY copy pasted of the bronze colossus and modified a few things and still no result!

here is the creature
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

and here are the body parts
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Please help me. Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 08:41:42 am by antymattar »

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My robots are not working.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 09:20:55 am »

What's not working, exactly? Game crashes? Don't show up? I can only think that you might want to remove the [FANCIFUL]  tag, and what's with the [ITEMCORPSE:VERMIN:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:IRON] line? If you want it to drop a piece of iron, then you could do: [ITEMCORPSE:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:IRON], I think. Also, you might want to change their PREFSTRING (what dwarves will like them for, e.g. 'Urist likes cats for their aloofness'), and you should probably also go over the descriptions with a spell-checker.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 09:34:39 am »

Removing [FANCIFUL] shouldn't be necessary. Its only purpose is to make sure that all civs are aware of the creature's existance.

Is there a robot civ? If not, try adding [LARGE_ROAMING] to it.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 11:21:22 am »

Yes I have a civ. It just dose not show up. Even in the arena! What dose LARGE_ROAMING do exactly?

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 11:46:13 am »

my guess would be the insanely low population number...also, if you want them as a civ, you need to declare them in an entity file as well...though I don't suggest buildingdestroyer and curiousbeast civs...they make bad neighbors and would likely be frustrating to play.  But yeah, I was able to get them to show up in arena so it does partially work...also...if you put them in their own file...did you put at the start something like;
"
creature_robot

[OBJECT:CREATURE]
"
and for the body file
"
body_robot

[OBJECT:BODY]
"
???
also...I thought DAMBLOCK didn't work anymore?  ...and yeah...your spelling is fairly bad, but if you're not a native english speaker, I'm sure someone would be willing to help with that.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 11:57:45 am »

I am not native english, I am Latvian. See I want them to be bad neighbors because this is pot apocalyptic or something and they would be a real pain.

I nidn't know damblock dose not work at the time I made this. I cant get them even in arena. Tell me how you made them show up and what you changed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 12:52:32 pm »

What you need to make sure is that the file and file name is formatted correctly - the file name must (absolutely must) start with "creature_", so the game knows what type of file it is. So if you called the file "creature_robot" (as in JediaKyrol's example above), that'd work, but "robot_creature" wouldn't.

Also make sure that the name of the file is included at the very top of the file.

JediaKyrol

• Bay Watcher
  • I have no idea what I am doing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 01:18:59 pm »

I just slapped the creature and body info and the end of existing creature and body files.  They showed up in Arena creature list in the d's.  (I think there is a way to push a creature to the top of the list, but I don't remember.)  I was able to make a few of them and have them fight to the death, so it could just be the file header lines that are broken.

Lord Urist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 03:39:32 am »

OK, what JediaKyrol ment about bad neighbours is that when they come to trade, if they have BUILDINGDESTROYER and CURIOUSBEAST, is that they will then (instead of trading) start knocking down doors and buildings and drinking all your booze. So, perhaps they are worth getting rid of.

Also, if you could post the entity file that might be helpful.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 07:06:34 am »

IT WORKS!!!!! I did what you said and it works. The entity file is like goblins but just drones. Now, I am in battle. I am a high master *WEAPON* dwarf and my 4 friend are kicking the ass out of those 7 guys. We have iron armor all over tho. thanks you guys. I have one question tho. If I remove the no_bones will they drope their iron totemuble scull? Im thinking WARHAMMER DF VERSION!!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 09:17:11 am »

There's a seperate tag for skulls. So they should be giving you skulls even with [NO_BONES].

Edit: Oh, wait, you mean the body part. You probably won't have to remove [NO_BONES] for that. You'll have to butcher them first, though.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:19:14 am by 3 »

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 09:36:59 am »

hmm....

''Urist, what are you doing!?''
''butchering a robot.''
''By Armok why.''
''My cousin is from '40k the twinkly beard'"