Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My Horrible Military..  (Read 1136 times)

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Horrible Military..
« on: July 27, 2010, 10:54:09 am »

So, Eight dwarfs armed with wooden sheilds, leather armour+Caps, and copper battles axes got OWNED by a goblin theif with a iron Dagger..

The struggle only lasted a matter of seconds, it ended with the theif fleeing once the bulk of the guard turned up

One was stabbed  in the foot, making his ankle and foot red- he ran away like a baby, disgraceing my fortress

Another was stabbed in the stomach, and is now in critical condition..

and the six others chased him all over creation only to loose him..
Its times like these i wish we could change our dwarves hair, because id have them all loose thier beards for this IMPUTANCE!
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: My Horrible Military..
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:58:52 am »

Attempt singing their beards off with magma.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:28:09 pm »

Does anyone have a technical explaination why this happened?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:33:49 pm »

Leather provides essentially no protection vs metal. Skill is also very important. An untrained dwarf can kill the more harmless wildlife but can't be relied upon to do much more.
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 12:53:53 pm »

From what I gather combat is not really balanced at the moment (time is being spent making it all actually work right first!). Even when you have metal armor you still have little chance against steel if you are wearing iron. i.e. steel cuts iron 90%+ of the time, where as iron cuts steel <5% of the time (figures maybe off, they are remembered from another thread and someone else's research).
Basically just make steel armor and weapons. And train your dwarves. Apparently hammers are the best weapon at the moment as impact mechanics favour them. My steel hammer dwarves kick ass anyway, even though most of them are not that skilled.

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:29:47 pm »

Ah..thanks for the reasoning..maybie i should lop my own beard off for being stupid..
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:55:13 pm »

Don't forget that how much your dwarves are carrying affects speed.  Copper battle axes are both larger and more dense than a little iron dagger. With that little equipment, agility is probably a much larger factor than weight, but if you have dwarf decked out in full steel don't expect him to be the first one into the fray.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

billw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:04:57 pm »

I would be interested to know if you have had any luck kitting out your military in lighter gear for agility, as its something I haven't really considered. I have never noticed my dwarves move slow except when they are lugging a gold statue or something similar. Like could, for instance, a guy with good dodging, a steel spear and some light leather armour have a good chance against someone with full iron kit? I have heard lashers are very effective since .10, maybe a lasher with a steel whip, leather armour and good skills could be like a sniper and just run in and take out everyone's eyes :D

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 08:55:35 pm »

^a dwarf with a wip lashing out gabbo eyes?...Oh Armok yes!