Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Power Transmission and Security.  (Read 1996 times)

adgriff2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Power Transmission and Security.
« on: July 26, 2010, 02:10:34 pm »

How do I transmit power into my fortress without:

1. Going through the main entrance (across the map and interrupted by gates and bridges?
2. Creating a dangerous 2nd entrance?

All I can think of is go up and over to a tower with an open roof with sheer walls... I'd have to spend years building the scaffolding to do that.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
Re: Power Transmission and Security.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 02:14:47 pm »

How do I transmit power into my fortress without:
1. Going through the main entrance (across the map and interrupted by gates and bridges?
2. Creating a dangerous 2nd entrance?

I think in 40d windmill power went down a safe vertical axle.
The wiki says "Axles do not block unit movement and can be crossed by dwarves without being spooled around them."
Source: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/40d:Axle#ixzz0uojyIS7s
Maybe you need to test hostiles jumping down the axle-hole. Hmm.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 02:14:59 pm »

Dig a tunnel under your entrance, then have the axle go straight up a few z levels, exiting in the barracks for good measure.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

adgriff2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 02:22:40 pm »

I'm using a waterwheel. Can't go straight down without leaving an exposed hole as I understand it.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 02:48:18 pm »

Build a secure perimeter around the outside power source.
Bonus points for menacing spikes.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 02:56:06 pm »

Hmm. First thought would be to wall in the external power plant and run the power train underground. Have you considered digging a tributary channel from the river into a walled-off area of your fort and sealing the inflow and drainage with fortifications to stop critters? If you're opposed to using water reactors, that would preserve the flow, shorten the power train, and give you an indoor water source, all on just 1 exposed floor. If you moved it inside a hill you wouldn't even have to construct walls over/around it. Just run the channel back into the river/brook on the same level and it won't flood.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 02:58:37 pm »

Two options:

1) Create an entirely self contained above ground power plant, such as using a brook, and make sure that absolutely everything is enclosed and the only access is from within your fortress itself

2) Dwarven Water Reactors. You of course need a source of water for this, but you can build them anywhere and they only need a minuscule amount of water flow to operate indefinitely. A single dwarf with a bucket would be more than enough to counter evaporation.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 03:27:08 pm »

Other than enclosing it, I still think going down then up is your best bet. If you imagine this as a side view:
Code: [Select]
X--   -------
  |   |
  |   |
  -----
Where x is your power source, and the dashes are your axles. Just route it into your fort from below, and nothing other than flying critters can get in.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

Altaree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 03:34:29 pm »

connect above and below a pump that does nothing.

|
X=
|
Dan Pearson:
This is a game which calculates the volume of blood in every creature it generates so it knows how much alcohol it would have to consume to get drunk, an update which, remarkably, ended up covering people's fortresses in cat vomit.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 03:45:29 pm »

If you have a brook, just wall off a section and build a roof over it. Then dig a tunnel and you're free to build water wheels in complete safety. This, of course, isn't going to work too well on maps that freeze in winter.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 03:50:04 pm »

If you have a brook, just wall off a section and build a roof over it. Then dig a tunnel and you're free to build water wheels in complete safety. This, of course, isn't going to work too well on maps that freeze in winter.

If the water freezes during winter tap into the brook to bring water underground. Then underground build DWR's. Each summer when it thaws the DWR's will be replenished with fresh water so counter evaporation.

kapusta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 04:52:39 pm »

Yea, I've done that myself, but I don't know whether the OP wants to use DWR's.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 05:21:19 pm »

DWR's are awesome! You should build one, or many of them anyways!  :D

I like having an engineering section where my engineers can work in. There is absolutely no point to it, but it looks great.

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 10:45:17 am »

I like having an engineering section where my engineers can work in. There is absolutely no point to it, but it looks great.
There's something AWESOME about having a reactor plant generating 1000 power to run three pumps and a millstone. Very dwarfy.
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.