Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can I track down (and kill) my old dwarfs?  (Read 2704 times)

Iron Galaxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can I track down (and kill) my old dwarfs?
« on: July 08, 2010, 03:48:52 pm »

I'm a noob to adventure mode and I was wondering, will I be able to find that my adamantine wielding, beast slaying champion and stab him in the throat?

Überzwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can I track down (and kill) my old dwarfs?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:51:12 pm »

You can find your former hero in the city he retired.

EDIT: Oh, you are talking about a champion from an abandoned fortress, I guess I missed the point.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 04:00:57 pm by Überzwerg »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 04:22:07 pm »

Yes you can. But he won't be in his fortress, and I don't know about his equipment.
I read somewhere that the cast of your fortress will be hanging in a nearby town.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Iron Galaxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 05:03:14 pm »

Thanks for both the answers. they're useful to me.

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 07:57:44 pm »

what's he done to deserve the ol' cold steel?
recruiting him could be Fun

[unrelated off-topic: just noticed that combat reports only show up for things you can see... party members who are off getting ambushed are on their own!  great stuff]

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 08:02:55 pm »

what's he done to deserve the ol' cold steel?
recruiting him could be Fun

Kill him and take his shit, is why.

Yes you can. But he won't be in his fortress, and I don't know about his equipment.
I read somewhere that the cast of your fortress will be hanging in a nearby town.

And if you hurry, you can actually catch them as they're migrating towards said nearby town, as one of those gray dashes on the map which represent creatures or groups of creatures.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:23:07 am »

Actually, when I Play Now!'d and spawned in my abandoned fortress, I actually found out that ALL it's surviving members where there, only that they formed a new group.

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 12:07:10 am »

thats easy enough, play now, loot your champion, retire at a town, loot your former adventurer
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 01:15:32 am »

Actually, when I Play Now!'d and spawned in my abandoned fortress, I actually found out that ALL it's surviving members where there, only that they formed a new group.

Even weirder: looking in the Legends, I found out that the group from my first v0.31 fortress has since gone on to start a new site. I haven't checked it out with my goblin legendary swordsman just yet, but I certainly will soon.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 10:26:48 pm »

Atop a dwarven guard tower:
"Urist! Urist! Come quick!"
"What? What?"
"Goblins!"
"How many?"
"Just... one."
"What?"
"One."
"Good. Let's take his socks."

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 07:21:15 am »

back before 2010 i used to trap my adamantium clad championss in cages using cavein dust to knock them out over cage traps, then come and reclaim them as elite companions in adventure mode.

you need to hook the cage up to a lever, otherwise the game releases them when you abandon. same for hostile creatures. tame creatures allways die. locking dwarves in a room they cannot get out of before you abandon seems to cause them to die as well. even if you leave them food and water.

initially dwarves will hang around your fortress more or less where they were when you abandoned. items move all over the place with more valuable items ending up lower down. given time, the dwarves from your abandoned fort will often migrate away and join other civilizations, or even go on to found new sites. all of this info is from 40d and before, so some of it may have changed.

also, insane or berserk dwarves tend to stay in the fort and pose a challenge to adventurers or reclaim parties.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 02:47:36 pm »

Moment; Trapped creatures won`t be released on abandoning a fortress? That would be awesome. I always thought that cages will get deconstructed..

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 06:34:59 am »

I always wanted to make my underwatter ruin. It is so cool noe that I can make traps!!!

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 06:10:19 pm »

Moment; Trapped creatures won`t be released on abandoning a fortress? That would be awesome. I always thought that cages will get deconstructed..

in 40d it was ONLY if the cage was constructed AND had a lever that an adventurer could pull to let the creatures out. otherwise the creature would get released on abandon.

i recall somebody doing a megaproject style thing where they had 200 or so goblins captured over many years, and was connecting them all to one lever so they could come back as an adventurer and test themselves.

i had a 40d titan and six goblins as a final obstacle in attaining an artifact adamantium axe in one of my more epic forts. the goblins would actually kill the colossus sometimes if you stood back. the cavein dust cage trap thing i describe for catching champions used to work on the old hfs stuff as well. no idea about the current hfs though.