Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I've struck raw adamantine... priorities?  (Read 2941 times)

Rokkomies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've struck raw adamantine... priorities?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 04:15:09 am »

"  Digging into warm stone from the side = death in 90% of cases"

I have had some success breaching a volcano pipe from the side many z-levels below, without killing the miner. Simply dig a tunnel that ends one tile from the magma. Then channel out a small area in the end of that tunnel. This is to give the magma some room to flow to, so your miner won't be submerged in lava too fast. Then go down one z-level and dig your magma pipes and reservoirs there. After that, build grates on the upper level, so that your miner can reach the magma. Before you breach the magma, make sure to put a flood gate linked to a lever on the upper access tunnel, so that you can immediately close the way when your miner escapes the magma after the breach. When all is set up, assign the final tile to be mined on the level above your magma pipes. Your miner should be fast enough to move out of the way before the magma hits him. Also the one z-level drop for the magma will give the miner enough time to run out and close the flood gate to be safe.

One side note: Make sure to forbid all stone in the magma pipes and reservoirs below. I lost a legendary stone crafter the first time I did this. :P

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 09:35:57 am »

Here's another way that works (about 80% of the time):

Build doors next to the tile that you're going to be digging out, so that once it's dug out, the magma only flows into one tile and the dwarf escapes through the door(s). The lava, lacking thumbs, can't operate doors, so it's stuck and doesn't pursue, unless it gets into the door before it closes, which happens occasionally.

This also lets you "expand" a volcano, or harness the full power of a partial z-level aquifer, if you're into that sort of thing. If you are, remember to cleverly forbid doors so that they dig from the right angle, and if your conscience allows it, savescum constantly.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 11:03:13 am »

Man, I never treat magma so carefully, and the only time I've had a miner die is when he decided to go to sleep shortly after opening up the magma pipe... right in front of it.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 01:57:53 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to mess around with the magma and hopefully nothing catastrophic happens.

My main concern, however, is the defense of my main entrance. I dug straight down (had to do that, no hills on my map) and somewhat stupidly started my fort on the first level down (in the dirt). So I have no long hallways full of traps... I've made some fortifications above ground but I don't think they'll be adequate.

I'm going to attempt to rebuild an entirely new fortress many z levels down closer to the caverns and setup my current fortress as a goblin death-zone.

Also... does anyone know how to figure out where on the map you embarked? If I screw this up I'd like to re-gen the world and embark again in the same location. Also, I'll post the parameters and location if anyone else wants to use this spot.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 04:33:09 pm by mwanafalsafa »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 07:16:35 pm »

If things go south, you can begin a reclaim attempt, which will show you where on the World Map your embark was. Then, just regen and go to that spot for a pristine embark.
Pages: 1 [2]