Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question re: sunlight/sickness/roofing  (Read 631 times)

xeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question re: sunlight/sickness/roofing
« on: November 05, 2010, 12:46:25 pm »

So I guess dwarves can become sunlight-allergic if they spend too much time underground, right? On the other hand, if you build a "roof" over an enclosed outdoor area that once was capable of receiving sunlight, it still acts as though it's "outside" as far as farming & such is concerned.

My question is, if you build a house for a dwarf that includes an outdoor walled-in courtyard, but then roof over said courtyard, will the dwarf see that outdoor area as "outdoors (sunlight, thus avoiding increased nausea while playing hacky sack at the beach)" or "underground (losing tolerance to the outdoors and becoming sick when exposed to same)" where long-term climatization is concerned?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Question re: sunlight/sickness/roofing
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 12:51:51 pm »

My question is, if you build a house for a dwarf that includes an outdoor walled-in courtyard, but then roof over said courtyard, will the dwarf see that outdoor area as "outdoors (sunlight, thus avoiding increased nausea while playing hacky sack at the beach)" or "underground (losing tolerance to the outdoors and becoming sick when exposed to same)" where long-term climatization is concerned?

Neither.

An "indoor/light/above ground" area does not cause or trigger cave adaptation - dwarves only get worse when they are truly underground, and they only get sick (and also get better) when exposed to direct sunlight.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

xeo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:54:47 pm »

Ohhhhhhh. Okay, thanks. :D

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 02:07:27 pm »

can an aboveground/light/indoor area cure cave adaption?
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 02:10:03 pm »

What works is a retractable sunroof, i.e. a bridge with a lever. You can close it when flying enemies are around (or when it's raining), and then open the rest of the time, which gives you a light/outdoor area.

However this doesn't work perfectly... I find that some of the tiles are still considered "inside" even after you retract the bridge. There doesn't seem to be any real pattern to it though, or rather, I can't figure out what it is.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 02:24:38 pm »

can an aboveground/light/indoor area cure cave adaption?

An "indoor/light/above ground" area does not cause or trigger cave adaptation - dwarves only get worse when they are truly underground, and they only get sick (and also get better) when exposed to direct sunlight.

Reading is fun.