Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Empty (item designation): alternate form of dump  (Read 646 times)

Nakranoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Empty (item designation): alternate form of dump
« on: June 23, 2008, 10:49:38 am »

Okay, I did a little poking around, searched, and checked the wiki and couldn't find anything like this. If it's already suggested somewhere under a diffrent name I couldn't think of, sorry.

Right now, if you have a barrel full of unwanted whatever, (fat, 2 beer, etc) or else a bag breeming with pigtail seeds, you only have 2 options, dump the offending container, or go through and dump individual items (which may/maynot work for the beer issue). I would probably make a lot more sense to be able to make a container with an "empty" designation. Once marked a dwarf would come by, pick up the offending barrel/bin/bag/quiver/etc haul it off to the nearest dump and start dropping the contents off one by one (to account for flat dump sites).

I think the best way to then handle various issues that would pop up (like running out of dump room) would be to un-flag the container whenver it's either emptied, or there's nowhere left to empty it.

A sort of side effect to this that may/maynot be entertaining is properly handled dump-to-lava occurences. Right now, the only thing I know of that burns when dropped into lava without vanishing first is raw hide. More things there means needing chimneys, booze boil outlets, etc. and would otherwise be fun.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty (item designation): alternate form of dump
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 10:57:45 am »

...why would a burning hide interrupt dump-to-magma?

Nakranoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Empty (item designation): alternate form of dump
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 11:01:21 am »

It wouldn't. But it does irritate underground dwarves to have the smoke fly up int thier faces. I probably shouldn't have ranted quite so much and lost a bit of the meat of the post.